Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#Tnewsday Signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242243244245246 250>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

there has to come a time where enough is enough ,the 4 regions must make a stand sooner rather than later,swansea and cardiff done it if we were strong and did it they would soon come running because without our players they don't have a product to cream off.

We're not strong enough, financially. Of our £12m income, about £5m is WRU cash. About £3-4m is from P14/Europe. The rest is tickets, sponsorship etc. 

We're still still here!
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 6:49pm

there has to come a time where enough is enough ,the 4 regions must make a stand sooner rather than later,swansea and cardiff done it if we were strong and did it they would soon come running because without our players they don't have a product to cream off.

I agree.I read Phillips' interview in WOL just now.,and it was not reassuring.Hotels and 'roof walks'....
Nikostratos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

I had the impression that Aaron now has a different phisicality then two years ago, I thnik now he could be a good 5 in second row...

he looks a bit more bulked up Mr Isn and is Rawlins any heavier? 🤔

According to the Scarlets website, Shingler is 105 kg.  Rawlins is 5 kg heavier, Helps is 1 kg lighter.    Depending on who plays next to him, that's heavy enough to my mind.  Our front rows are good enough for the scrummaging side of it and our style of play really needs one mobile lock with good hands and an offloading game.  Lousi is one, Shingler would be another.

Playing Shingler at 6 tends to leave a lack of close-quarter carriers.  This makes defending against Kalamafoni easier than it should be, as he's the one go-to option.   When Cassiem played alongside Kalamafoni we looked a much better side.  I don't think that's a coincidence, because the key to rugby today seems to be dominating the contact area and a major part of that is having a number of top class carriers. Good coaching is also essential, but one step at a time.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Nikostratos Nikostratos wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

I had the impression that Aaron now has a different phisicality then two years ago, I thnik now he could be a good 5 in second row...

According to the Scarlets website, Shingler is 105 kg.  Rawlins is 5 kg heavier, Helps is 1 kg lighter.    Depending on who plays next to him, that's heavy enough to my mind.  Our front rows are good enough for the scrummaging side of it and our style of play really needs one mobile lock with good hands and an offloading game.  Lousi is one, Shingler would be another.

Playing Shingler at 6 tends to leave a lack of close-quarter carriers.  This makes defending against Kalamafoni easier than it should be, as he's the one go-to option.   When Cassiem played alongside Kalamafoni we looked a much better side.  I don't think that's a coincidence, because the key to rugby today seems to be dominating the contact area and a major part of that is having a number of top class carriers. Good coaching is also essential, but one step at a time.

Rawlins and Helps are light locks who dont have Shingler's athleticism. Rawlins is closer. Shingler should stay at 6. Your suggestion re Cassiem is not a bad one, but it then leaves us 1 fewer lineout jumpers. Its all just opinion of course.

Beirne was considered by Pivac to be a light lock for intl rugby too. Anyone know his size?
Scarlets before Wales
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I agree.I read Phillips' interview in WOL just now.,and it was not reassuring.Hotels and 'roof walks'....
Interestingly, though, he says this:

Q: Would your attitude be similar towards the next chunk of the PRO14 CVC money? Will that be used for long term projects or could that be used in the short term?

SP: We’re already doing that within the PRB discussions. Our regional teams are participating in that tournament so we made the choice that we would invest that capital back into our regional game, which is ongoing.

We're still still here!
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 9:05pm

Clap
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
PenScarlet44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PenScarlet44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

[QUOTE=Mr Ian]I had the impression that Aaron now has a different phisicality then two years ago, I thnik now he could be a good 5 in second row...

Rawlins and Helps are light locks who dont have Shingler's athleticism. Rawlins is closer. Shingler should stay at 6. Your suggestion re Cassiem is not a bad one, but it then leaves us 1 fewer lineout jumpers. Its all just opinion of course.

Beirne was considered by Pivac to be a light lock for intl rugby too. Anyone know his size?
Ed Kennedy would be the best option to convert to lock ahead of Shingler, he's 6'5 and 17st5

ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2021 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by PenScarlet44 PenScarlet44 wrote:

[QUOTE=Mr Ian]I had the impression that Aaron now has a different phisicality then two years ago, I thnik now he could be a good 5 in second row...

Ed Kennedy would be the best option to convert to lock ahead of Shingler, he's 6'5 and 17st5

I think he's a 6 too. Kind of Shingler's successor.
Scarlets before Wales
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2021 at 2:09am
Originally posted by PenScarlet44 PenScarlet44 wrote:

To me, Ed is the best option for a Shingler successor. Similar build, good in the loose, can use in line outs. I like him, wish we saw him a bit more.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2021 at 10:44am
Nothing today.
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 2:34am
Taylor Davies has joined Dragons on a short term loan deal 
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 2:42am
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Taylor Davies has joined Dragons on a short term loan deal 

Apologies just noticed this has already been mentioned in General Rugby
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 2:47pm
A re-signing announcement will be made today. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 3:00pm
Ryan Elias has extended his contract.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Ryan Elias has extended his contract.
Brilliant news! Hardworking player especially in the loose. Hard done by in the sense he is third for Wales and get called up but doesn’t get time for them or us. Hopefully we can see more chances for Ryan this season.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 4:01pm
Yeah good signing. Must be frustrating to be current third choice for Wales, personally i’d rather he be back at the scarlets or actually used by Wales.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242243244245246 250>
  Share Topic