Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#Tnewsday Signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 316>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

Whilst there’s a discussion on exiles and 60 cap rule, the most interesting aspect of this right now, is that Callum Sheedy is in the last year of his contract and either must come back to Wales next season or not play international rugby.

Beginning to wonder if there’s even a starting spot for him in Wales.

We have Costelow, Dan and Patchell, Ospreys Anscombe and Josh Thomas, Cardiff Jarrod Evans and Rhys Priestland. Dragons?

With Rhys Patchell’s injury struggles, I suppose there is an outside chance we’d make a move. Maybe he can play second row Wink

I asked this Question on another thread. Dragons would be most likely currently. Maybe Blues/Sprays as a 2nd choice. Maybe no-region will choose to offer him a contract? So he would still be eligible. 

I’d see more value in a region getting Ioan Lloyd from Bristol than Sheedy
It's irrelevant if a player was offered a contract by a Welsh side or not. He either comes back to Wales or he becomes ineligible for Wales selection.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:27pm
Possibly Cardiff, priestland is getting older 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:32pm
Evans would move then if sheedy came? Can see him going to dragons and sam davies going to englAnd, this grace at st helens looks a player who will get him?
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Whilst there’s a discussion on exiles and 60 cap rule

Maybe no-region will choose to offer him a contract? So he would still be eligible. 

He would not be eligible as far as I am concerned if he wasn't offered a regional contract. Thomas Young suffered the same fate I believe. I am not a huge fan of Sheedy & I am yet to see what all the hype surrounding Ioan Lloyd is about. I think he needs to play at 10 to showcase his undoubted skills. Pat Lam's prediction that Lloyd would be the Wales 10 at the 2023 World Cup seems a long way off at the moment. 

Interesting, didn’t know that about Young. Surely someone offered him a contract but he rejected it in a negotiation?

I was a Sheedy sceptic but his 6N was strong. Is he better than an in-form Patchell? Not for me. Does he have more potential than a Costellow? No. But that doesn’t make him a bad player - can clearly be useful at international level.

Lloyd falls into a similar category as Costellow, great potential but needs to prove it week-in-week out before expecting higher honours. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:44pm
Scarletnut and GPR are correct-by the sounds of it the “offered a contract” bit/loophole was closed in the Young case - Reddit
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:46pm
Sheedy fell apart in paris was a big factor in blowing that game. Was good vs scotland and england though 
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Whilst there’s a discussion on exiles and 60 cap rule, the most interesting aspect of this right now, is that Callum Sheedy is in the last year of his contract and either must come back to Wales next season or not play international rugby.

We have Costelow, Dan and Patchell, Ospreys Anscombe and Josh Thomas, Cardiff Jarrod Evans and Rhys Priestland. Dragons?

With Rhys Patchell’s injury struggles, I suppose there is an outside chance we’d make a move. Maybe he can play second row Wink

I asked this Question on another thread. Dragons would be most likely currently. Maybe Blues/Sprays as a 2nd choice. Maybe no-region will choose to offer him a contract? So he would still be eligible. 

It's irrelevant if a player was offered a contract by a Welsh side or not. He either comes back to Wales or he becomes ineligible for Wales selection.
How is the player going to come back to Wales if they are not offered a contract by a Welsh side? I'm all for the current rules but that seems a bit ridiculous.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:53pm
I agree with minded that part of the law needs to be replaced
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Evans would move then if sheedy came? Can see him going to dragons and sam davies going to englAnd, this grace at st helens looks a player who will get him?
Why are people against competition for places? If Sheedy joins a Welsh side he shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

How is the player going to come back to Wales if they are not offered a contract by a Welsh side? I'm all for the current rules but that seems a bit ridiculous.
It's not as straight forward as that though. What if a player intentionally prices himself out of a move to a Welsh side? If it was down to me it would be even stricter than it already is.
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 3:57pm

It's not as straight forward as that though. What if a player intentionally prices himself out of a move to a Welsh side? If it was down to me it would be even stricter than it already is.
I thought the clubs operate within set brackets of money that they can offer? So if a player has been capped there'd be a level of acceptable pay which any team could offer and if the player doesn't accept it then I agree they should be ineligible, but what happens if no offer is made? or is there always an offer on the table from someone?

Edited by minded - 08 October 2021 at 3:57pm
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 4:02pm
I suppose that is a question a player should be asking themselves before accepting an offer to play outside of Wales. If they seriously want to have international honours after leaving Wales, then they need to accept that they may never have an offer to come back.
New Season, New Start
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 5:08pm

Why are people against competition for places? If Sheedy joins a Welsh side he shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot.
the counter point is why leave bristol to be sat on a bench in wales? Why would evans waste his prime years as a blues sub? 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

I thought the clubs operate within set brackets of money that they can offer? So if a player has been capped there'd be a level of acceptable pay which any team could offer and if the player doesn't accept it then I agree they should be ineligible, but what happens if no offer is made? or is there always an offer on the table from someone?
Im talking about English based players who have to come back to Wales
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 7:06pm

the counter point is why leave bristol to be sat on a bench in wales? Why would evans waste his prime years as a blues sub? 
Because he wants to play test rugby. Would Evans be first choice elsewhere?
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2021 at 7:19pm

Why would a player join a club that he may not start games at?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 316>
  Share Topic