Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#Tnewsday Signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 322323324325326 352>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Lee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 9:58am
I think the best option for Patch is for us to sign him to a 1 year extension so he’ll be available for the RWC and can see if he can force his way into the Welsh team.

Sheedy doesn’t bring the same pace and tempo that Patch or even Costelow does.
Ioan Lloyd is a talent and it’d be great to have someone like him, the only problem is he hasn’t had consistent game time at 10 or 15 to really say where he is best used.

Dan Jones is underrated by a lot on here, he may not be a perfect fit for our style though he played a big part in our 2 best seasons 2016-18 with 43 games(25 starts).
If we only have one type of pivot we become very one dimensional, it’s necessary to be able to play different styles and Dinky is a massive part of that.

Backrow is fine,
6 Blade & Shingler
7 Macleod, Davis, Evans, Rees, Cubby
8 Kalamafoni, Lezana, Tuipulotu 
Macleod & Lezana can cover 6

If we’re recruiting there I’d want a good young 6 who could take the shirt after a year or 2.
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten
Sponsored Links

scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 10:02am
Disagree open side is still a big problem. All those listed have been injured this season. 
Interestingly Dai Young said they've found it's one of the most demanding position , and used it as his excuse for recruiting so many back row players.

We need to use the exiles programme and sound out Tommy Reffell / Dan Thomas etc.

Tony Clifton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

Disagree open side is still a big problem. All those listed have been injured this season. 
Interestingly Dai Young said they've found it's one of the most demanding position , and used it as his excuse for recruiting so many back row players.

We need to use the exiles programme and sound out Tommy Reffell / Dan Thomas etc.

I’ve said it before, we should take a look at Olly Robinson for a year contract or so. Very good squad player, won’t be called up for internationals.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 2:14pm
if we cant get reffell i would agree with you tony clifton about olly robinson. never seen him have a bad game, always a very solid no.7 who would give us depth in an area we are lacking
but reffell would be my no.1 choice. if we can get him and another lump of a lock with possible wide player think we would be looking quite good. 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

if we cant get reffell i would agree with you tony clifton about olly robinson. never seen him have a bad game, always a very solid no.7 who would give us depth in an area we are lacking
but reffell would be my no.1 choice. if we can get him and another lump of a lock with possible wide player think we would be looking quite good. 
Agreed 100%! I’d also take Dan Thomas back home if he’s up for it.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 5:11pm
There is a need for a good quality 7 to back up josh. Hoped it would be Dan Davis but the lad has had bad run of injuries and not developed. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 5:17pm
I wouldn’t write Cubby off just yet.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I wouldn’t write Cubby off just yet.
Thatd be very encouraging.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

His dad is a massive fan of the "scarlet way" spent some time with him in the players lounge in bath after that epic night and he said what a pleasure to see rugby played in the way it should be,it was probably my rendition of " well here's to you mr robinson" that swung him.LOLLOL
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 6:44pm
If Cubby’s contract is up at the end of the season I wouldn’t renew, he’s 32 this year hasn’t played much rugby in over two years and I can imagine is on a decent wage. I would try and retain Lezana with the Cubby money and potentially invest elsewhere. Lezana, Josh and Dan Davis is more than enough cover at 7 and I certainly wouldn’t sign Robinson. On the other hand if Botham was available then that’s a completely different kettle of fish because he is outstanding.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

If Cubby’s contract is up at the end of the season I wouldn’t renew, he’s 32 this year hasn’t played much rugby in over two years and I can imagine is on a decent wage. I would try and retain Lezana with the Cubby money and potentially invest elsewhere. Lezana, Josh and Dan Davis is more than enough cover at 7 and I certainly wouldn’t sign Robinson. On the other hand if Botham was available then that’s a completely different kettle of fish because he is outstanding.
Problem is right now it isn’t enough to cover 7. We have 4 open sides who’ve spent a good amount of time injured. We badly need a reliable player there. By my count, between the four of them, they’ve played 19 matches total since rugby resumed mid-2020. 

Edited by Tony Clifton - 12 January 2022 at 7:30pm
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 8:43pm
     We desperately need to recruit at 7, Robinson, Reffell and Dan Thomas are  all strong candidates for me ..with hopefully two of those coming in for me .
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 8:57pm
Would totally agree with you Mark. Openside is probably the most demanding physical position of all.
Would still take another lick and maybe even an outside back. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

We desperately need to recruit at 7, Robinson, Reffell and Dan Thomas are  all strong candidates for me ..with hopefully two of those coming in for me .
i remember you raving about dan thomas away at pontypool with semi's mark,why would he come back the way he was discarded?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

i remember you raving about dan thomas away at pontypool with semi's mark,why would he come back the way he was discarded?
He was rightly discarded at the time and had nobody to blame but himself for being released 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 10:16pm
Didn’t he punch someones teeth out in training? Good player though id like him back
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 322323324325326 352>
  Share Topic