Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#Tnewsday Signings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 352>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2022 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Like others, I am not sold on Sheedy yet but I am also not 100% on Lloyd, he hasn't nailed down a position yet & seems to be a bit like James Hook in so much he seems to fit in where needed & I think that could affect him in the long term.

Lloyd, on the other hand, is a bit different. He isn't quick enough to play back 3 at International level and there is also the question of size/defence. At 10, however, he is pretty quick with superb hands, an eye for the gap and great attacking instincts. Now I do not know if he has all the other skills of a 10 namely the kicking game and distribution so you are right he needs to concentrate on a position and play there. If he came to us, with Rhys leaving, both he and Sam would push each other hard. 

I feel like they could do a decent two tens role together a la how New Zealand play Mouanga and Barrett, yes the number 15 is on Barrett’s back but he’s often first receiver in open play.

But then again 10 is a shirt people grow into with more responsibility. If Lloyd doesn’t get that in the next 2 years then he risks becoming a Matthew Morgan, great highlights reel but not an international career to match 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2022 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

i do think we need a 7. cubby has not played for so long and we really dont know if he is coming back and what state he will be in. Dan Davis has had string of injuries as well and the same can be said, will he develop really not sure.
iestyn rees is a 6 not a 7 and needs to concentrate on playing there.
Lezana i think can play in all 3 spots but is more of a 6/8. 
this leaves us thin and still feel another 7 is needed who can jackal and slow oppositions ball down.
there was a time when players came to the scarlets to get capped,now they come to get injured,why do we have so many injuries?
Raised By Peregos View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raised By Peregos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2022 at 7:49pm
Hugh Tizard leaving Quins... 21, 6'4", 18.9st second row (according to the Quins site)?? Asking my Quins season ticket holder mate what he's like. 

Call me old fashioned but I like the slightly shorter, heavier second row build alongside the taller leaner... reminds me of Tulip and Copsey. 
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2022 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

Hugh Tizard leaving Quins... 21, 6'4", 18.9st second row (according to the Quins site)?? Asking my Quins season ticket holder mate what he's like. 

Call me old fashioned but I like the slightly shorter, heavier second row build alongside the taller leaner... reminds me of Tulip and Copsey. 

Think he’s going sarries 
scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2022 at 10:13pm
Yeah he’s off to sarries 
crj89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Mr Lee91 Mr Lee91 wrote:

Both Reffell and Dan T are probably earning decent money being regulars in their matchday 23's.
At least more than what we would be allowed to pay either under WRU rules I'd expect.
Even if their contracts are up this season and they get selected for Wales, they could easily sign a long term contract asap with extension clauses etc before they get their cap to avoid being subjected to the 60 cap rule.

We've got 10 backrowers on the books, Cubby is the only unknown injury with regards to timeframe and he was injured on Wales duty so surely their insurance is picking up his wages?
As a business I can't see how we can justify bringing in more backrow players unless there are long term injuries and Cubby aside they're not. 
We brought Tom Phillips back because of the raft of injuries and as his fate seems to go he got injured himself.

We need to get our S&C, Physio's, medical equipment, etc. to the highest possible standard.
I'm not saying that their poor right now, just we need to be constantly improving in these areas whether it's through further training, using new methods, developing new methods ourselves or whatever else there is.

We can offer what we’d like to for Refell, that’s my understanding anyway. Jac Morgan was offered nearly 3 times more than what the Scarlets offered to sign for the Ospreys, initially anyway, it wasn’t just a case of supporting a team. 

Edited by crj89 - 14 January 2022 at 6:44pm
Mr Lee91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Lee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Both Reffell and Dan T are probably earning decent money being regulars in their matchday 23's.
At least more than what we would be allowed to pay either under WRU rules I'd expect.
Even if their contracts are up this season and they get selected for Wales, they could easily sign a long term contract asap with extension clauses etc before they get their cap to avoid being subjected to the 60 cap rule.

We've got 10 backrowers on the books, Cubby is the only unknown injury with regards to timeframe and he was injured on Wales duty so surely their insurance is picking up his wages?
As a business I can't see how we can justify bringing in more backrow players unless there are long term injuries and Cubby aside they're not. 
We brought Tom Phillips back because of the raft of injuries and as his fate seems to go he got injured himself.

We need to get our S&C, Physio's, medical equipment, etc. to the highest possible standard.
I'm not saying that their poor right now, just we need to be constantly improving in these areas whether it's through further training, using new methods, developing new methods ourselves or whatever else there is.

We can offer what we’d like to for Refell, that’s my understanding anyway. Jac Morgan was offered nearly 3 times more than what the Scarlets offered to sign for the Ospreys, initially anyway, it wasn’t just a case of supporting a team. 
We must have made a p**s poor offer for O’s to triple it, max for a non-international is £110K and that was before the COVID reductions.
With Jac I know there were issues with him and the academy, not sure exactly what but apparently left a sour taste.

I was under the impression that any Welsh qualified player was subject to the pay scale regardless of where they came from.
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 8:58pm

I heard Jac was offered twice what Scarlets offered him, our offer was embarrassing. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

I heard Jac was offered twice what Scarlets offered him, our offer was embarrassing. 
Who decides what to offer players? Does it differ depending on the level of player?

Is the Head Coach involved in who they want to retain but not necessarily the pay level when lower wage players are renewed?

If it is delegated to someone else, who is that person?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 10:37pm
So he’s went because he’s from the area, then they offered double what we offered, then they offered treble. Something tells me there’s a few rumours amongst them. 
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2022 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Who decides what to offer players? Does it differ depending on the level of player?

Is the Head Coach involved in who they want to retain but not necessarily the pay level when lower wage players are renewed?

I imagine that the Head Coach and Jon Daniels thrash it out together. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 12:37am

Dan T isn’t international class but with regards Reffell he’s not going to get selected unless he returns to Wales given the depth Wales have at 7
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Mr Lee91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Lee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 2:33am

The original banding was;

Academy

£20k

1st contract

£20-£40k

Squad

£40-£110k

Marquee Squad

£160k max

1st Caps

£110-£180k

Internationals

£180-£300k

Lions

£450k max

I don’t know how much that’s changed since Covid pay cuts.
There isn’t any clear criteria or at least I can’t find any on what makes a marquee player or how many you can have.
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 8:34am

The original banding was;

Academy

£20k

1st contract

£20-£40k

Squad

£40-£110k

Marquee Squad

£160k max

1st Caps

£110-£180k

Internationals

£180-£300k

Lions

£450k max

I don’t know how much that’s changed since Covid pay cuts.
There isn’t any clear criteria or at least I can’t find any on what makes a marquee player or how many you can have.
Thanks for those bandings. 

Anyone know who decides how much within those bands? I’m interested in the people signing off on what to offer. It might help understand how there was such a disparity in the Jac Morgan situation, although whatever the info I think we might still be scratching our heads.
Rubrum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 9:40am
Can someone summarise who is going and who is arriving ?
I'm confused and lost with all the info and comments in this thread.
Rubrum
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2022 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Rubrum Rubrum wrote:

Can someone summarise who is going and who is arriving ?
I'm confused and lost with all the info and comments in this thread.

Let me try to help. Only certainty I think is Liam to Cardiff. Very strong rumours that we signed Fifita from Wasps & that Steff Hughes is going to Leicester. Patchell is out of contract and is assessing offers. Thats it I think. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 352>
  Share Topic