FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

unsung legends? andy hill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mark in sydney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark in sydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: unsung legends? andy hill
    Posted: 20 April 2021 at 6:07am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

THE point not covered so far is that in an era where caps and International games are as plentifil as confetti, Andy "Pandy" Hill was never capped. From the same era and team, I don't think Selwyn Williamscwas capped either.

Without doubt, Andy is one of the greatest Scarlets ever. People should also remember that the boots and balls used had none of the technology that we see today.

I really wish that someone at the Scarlets would have a word with the BBC to see if it is possible to get some of the highlights of this era put on a dvd. For alot of us on here it was the era we were hooked and I'd love it for some of the younger uns seeing the likes of Andy, Selwyn, Tommy David and Delme in full flow against The Jacks and Neath.

Would love to see a dvd / bluray of those games ..bring back a lot of memories. Andy was a class act but my unsung hero was Barry Llewelyn .. a prop we would admire today as he had passing skills and pace something few had in those days ... he should never had retire from international rugby at 24 .
Part of the dvd should be the Floodlight Alliance games ...mid week ... watching our back line line tear through defences as you just could not take penalty kicks outside the 22. We racked up some big scores in our home games 

Set us up for the famous WRU cup wins 

FLOODLIGHT ALLIANCE WINNERS
1965: Cardiff
1966: Aberavon
1967: Bridgend
1968: Llanelli
1969: Llanelli
1970: Llanelli
1971: Llanelli
1972: Llanelli
1973: Llanelli

I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Huge Blackwood Huge Blackwood wrote:

I wanted to share something that happened to me today in the hope it brings a smile to you.  I work on a building site for a new school in Penlan. I'm the gatekeeper and about 3.30 today I was enjoying standing around in the sun when a car pulled up in the layby outside. A gentleman got out and carefully approached me with the question "do you mind if i ask what you're building here?". We chatted for about 20 minutes and he explained that he had grown up close by and had played rugby on the pitch behind me. He casually mentioned he had played for the Scarlets (amongst others) and as he left I asked his name - "Andy Hill" he replied.......I'm still in awe.Star
Many thanks for sharing this story, which matches your first (forum) name. Clap
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Huge Blackwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Huge Blackwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 7:42pm
I wanted to share something that happened to me today in the hope it brings a smile to you.  I work on a building site for a new school in Penlan. I'm the gatekeeper and about 3.30 today I was enjoying standing around in the sun when a car pulled up in the layby outside. A gentleman got out and carefully approached me with the question "do you mind if i ask what you're building here?". We chatted for about 20 minutes and he explained that he had grown up close by and had played rugby on the pitch behind me. He casually mentioned he had played for the Scarlets (amongst others) and as he left I asked his name - "Andy Hill" he replied.......I'm still in awe.Star
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 10:18am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9FipwcV27o

Watch from 1:47:48 onwards 

Enjoy Smile

Thanks for that. 

For some reason my laptop didn't show a time stamp - if anyone else has this problem, the incident is very near the end.
β€œYou cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2016 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by cauliflowerear11 cauliflowerear11 wrote:

Andy Hill I seem to remember had the world record for the amount of tries scored for a club.
I also remember Andy kicking a penalty from just outside our 5 mtre line.  It went through with loads to spare. Boy could this man kick.  Scored some amazing tries.  Much better the ickle Shane.LOL
I see to remember his huge turf kicking tee and a run up, winding about, almost as long as his kicks, quite bizarre, but obviously effective as his few thousand points scored shows..
Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 11:21am
4 at the time Wil! πŸ˜‰ Must have had some tough paper rounds out west in Emlyn. Wouldn't have had you a day younger than 52. πŸ˜ƒ Just saying it as I see it like!
That's coming from a 1950's Baby! πŸ˜“
We all had Doctor's papers!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 11:01am
As TF and I chatted about the other day, Clive did a year at Llandysul Grammat school, must have been '77 ish. Think I was year 4 at the time. Proper athlete he was.
Part of his teacher training ( or so I assumed ). Remember him clattering my best mate in to touch JPResque during rugby practice once. Bit harsh atthe time, but my mate was always destined to be a wendyballer, and I considered that cemented it in place.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 10:37am
Thanks for that Pimp, happy days indeed. The memory is a weird thing as I was also convinced Clive got his cap at Twickenham! ☺️
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 9:36am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9FipwcV27o

Watch from 1:47:48 onwards 

Enjoy Smile

Edited by s.pimpernel - 28 February 2016 at 9:36am
In Pivac we trust
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 9:11am
Gentleman thanks for putting me, the memory is not as pin sharpe as it once was!
Do remember him making a break down the right side of the field. Had a very distinctive high knee running action and was a touch swift. This led to the try.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 5:09am

Originally posted by Turkish Fez Turkish Fez wrote:

Clive Griffiths was a class act as full back, unfortunately for him there was certain JPR in his way for international honours, hence I think he only had the odd Wales cap. Seemed to recall he came on as replacement for JPR against England and scored a great try. Very successful League career with St Helens and Salford.
Very much involved with Doncaster Knights Union side as a coach for many a year.
Penclawdd boy.

Sadly no. He made the break, kicked ahead and the try was scored by Elgan Rees, who won the race to the touchdown between the two of them
nice one pimp,i knew he made the break but thought he passed to elgam,remember now.Thumbs Up
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 9:21pm

Clive Griffiths was a class act as full back, unfortunately for him there was certain JPR in his way for international honours, hence I think he only had the odd Wales cap. Seemed to recall he came on as replacement for JPR against England and scored a great try. Very successful League career with St Helens and Salford.
Very much involved with Doncaster Knights Union side as a coach for many a year.
Penclawdd boy.

Sadly no. He made the break, kicked ahead and the try was scored by Elgan Rees, who won the race to the touchdown between the two of them

Edited by s.pimpernel - 27 February 2016 at 9:22pm
In Pivac we trust
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Penclawdd boy.

I saw him win his only cap - I thought he'd scored a try, too, but Wikipedia says not - I do remember him setting off on a storming run and cutting through the English defence - most probably, then, this led to a try by someone else (maybe Elgan Rees? He had a habit of scoring v England!). Of course, he then went to play RL, where I bumped into him at the school where he was games master (Rossall? I forget...). He was very fast indeed - much quicker than JPR, who was however untouchable as first choice for his other qualities.

Oddly, I also saw Stuart Gallacher win his only cap, when he also made a storming run in to the France 25. That may also have led to a score - again, I forget... sorry!
 clive made the break and gave the scoring pass to elgan rees,think he went north the close season

Thanks for confirming that! Sources like Wikipedia are quite good at confirming when players got their caps, but that's about all...
β€œYou cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Penclawdd boy.

I saw him win his only cap - I thought he'd scored a try, too, but Wikipedia says not - I do remember him setting off on a storming run and cutting through the English defence - most probably, then, this led to a try by someone else (maybe Elgan Rees? He had a habit of scoring v England!). Of course, he then went to play RL, where I bumped into him at the school where he was games master (Rossall? I forget...). He was very fast indeed - much quicker than JPR, who was however untouchable as first choice for his other qualities.

Oddly, I also saw Stuart Gallacher win his only cap, when he also made a storming run in to the France 25. That may also have led to a score - again, I forget... sorry!
 clive made the break and gave the scoring pass to elgan rees,think he went north the close season
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Gellert Gellert wrote:

My two unsung heroes are Roy Bergiers and Mark Perego.
2 great players, who In fairness are a little bit sungWink
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Gellert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gellert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 3:38pm
My two unsung heroes are Roy Bergiers and Mark Perego.
Too old to die young...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic