Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkeys and xmas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The board of the wru backed this motion so did the the pro sides and so did the majority of the grass roots clubs, 75 per cent is a high threshold. Did every club even vote?

I think around 90 clubs didn't even bother voting.
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

The board of the wru backed this motion so did the the pro sides and so did the majority of the grass roots clubs, 75 per cent is a high threshold. Did every club even vote?

Jesus wept. That's horrific.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:44pm

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Not sure what the messaging was like to the clubs from Butcher or their reasons for voting against it, would be interested to know though if anyone knows any of the clubs that didn't go with it.

I'm struggling to see why they wouldn't vote for it, ultimately the community elected board members would have retained the majority vote on the board with 8 members against the remaining 5.

The simplest way of looking at it is they've decided that one of the 8 elected members by the clubs must be chair over the 4/5 people they've brought in specifically because of their capability and calibre in that environment, i.e. they're voting against the likely most suitable person in the room being chair.

Neither the pro or community game have much trust in the WRU, and I'd guess that the community games concern is that the board is slowly trying to push them out through incremental changes.

The WRU might be better off just putting all their cards out on the table of their long-term intentions (which no-one seems to know what they are beyond 'making the game better') and let them decide from there.

isn’t nigel walker supposed to be pushing this long term vision? 

If he is the message isn't getting very far!
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Yep that's awful.  

I'm sceptical how much effort went into the roadshow, the current exec board would likely be more accountable if the changes were brought in so it's potentially in their interest to have a weaker main board.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 5:19pm

Yep that's awful.  

I'm sceptical how much effort went into the roadshow, the current exec board would likely be more accountable if the changes were brought in so it's potentially in their interest to have a weaker main board.

Yes I think that is key. Low profile proposal with scant advance notification. Undersold and under explained to small clubs by the WRU who should understand the profile of their membership! I also wonder if the 4 Regional clubs with their ties to small clubs ( visits/ player nights /training days etc could have backed up the WRU reps as well by selling it in. The failure however must be with the WRU in what seems to be complacency and or lack of drive to push this one measure through. 

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 5:20pm

Yep that's awful.  

Have they a published Conflict of Interest policy?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 5:27pm

I heard on SM that Narberth was against? I could be wrong ( I usually am) 

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 6:24pm
Our of curio do we know If the regions camvas suppport for the motion? Did they meet any of the grass rootts ckubs to explain the need to support the motion? Did the wru? People slate the clubs but did anyone actually talk to them about this topic?

Edited by RR1972 - 31 October 2022 at 6:31pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 10:34pm

Our of curio do we know If the regions camvas suppport for the motion? Did they meet any of the grass rootts ckubs to explain the need to support the motion? Did the wru? People slate the clubs but did anyone actually talk to them about this topic?
As a gut reaction, I very much doubt it. It’s not our style and who in management would we have do it in the tight ship? Jon Daniels? There is no one else of note. 

Edited by reesytheexile - 31 October 2022 at 10:47pm

hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 11:29pm

We are obviously disappointed that a number of the proposed special resolutions didn’t pass through today, but it was always going to be difficult for us with a 75% majority required to make these changes,” said Butcher.

“The Board must now take some time to reflect on what member clubs have told us and come back with new proposals.

“We remain confident that our direction of travel is correct. We must modernise, we cannot afford to stand still in the fast moving world of the professional game and that means we must have a governance structure that is fit for purpose.

“But it is also vitally important that we take our member clubs with us on this journey. The community game and our member clubs and districts are at the very heart of Welsh rugby, we are a union of member clubs and we cannot forget or overlook this fact.

“This results of this vote today tell us that our clubs are not with us, we are not united and together in the way we understand this issue and the hard work must now continue until we reach the stage where we are.”

General view during the WRU AGM.

The current Board consists of eight directors who have first been elected by member clubs to the WRU Council (two of which are nationally elected directors and six are elected by WRU districts), two Independent Non-Executive Directors (INEDs), in Henry Engelhardt and Cat Read, who are appointed by the Board, the Professional Rugby Board chair (currently Malcolm Wall – also an appointed INED) and the WRU CEO (Steve Phillips).

The latest modernisation measures would have allowed the WRU Board to appoint a fourth Independent Non-Executive director, taking the total number on the Board to 13, and appoint this individual as chair. The change would also have allowed for one of the existing INEDS to become chair (with the exception of the individual holding the position of PRB chair).

Articles currently state that only Council Members can be elected as chair by the Board

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2022 at 10:50am
I have no idea what the relationship is like with the regions and grass roots clubs at mo. Let’s be honest i’m not sure the rfc and the scarlets are best of buddies, the clubs on social media in tge main seem to be backing the motion. Looks like more abstained than voted against it (late delivery by the wru the issue rather than the motion itself?)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2022 at 11:42pm
Butcher won’t be reapplying for the chairmans role
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 6:18am
the baker and candlestick maker are waiting in the wings
Oracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 6:55am
In the 2nd verse it goes on about dodgy roofers and cross hand sleeper cells...I thought it was important to highlight this factBig smile
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

In the 2nd verse it goes on about dodgy roofers and cross hand sleeper cells...I thought it was important to highlight this factBig smile
And to think i championed for you to return some things in life you live to regret in the long term others the wait isn't that long.Tongue
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 8:08am

Butcher won’t be reapplying for the chairmans role

Good, but only if it signals the desire to change things.

Timing is hardly a coincidence I'd imagine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic