Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkeys and xmas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 8:12am
Sounds like the roadshow from the WRU was indeed last minute and lacked basic detail like how much the independent chair would be paid, coupled with motions like increasing the maximum term you can see why clubs would be dubious on supporting any of the motions.

For an organisation trying to convince its members it's trying to be more professional sounds like it wasn't handed very professionally, if they really really wanted it to work then Steve Phillips should have been in attendance with Butcher.

You could argue that the clubs who voted against are punishing everyone else for the lack of detail from the WRU, but if they passed something without the detail you'd question their thoroughness.

Once again a complete mess, underqualified person doing the roadshow underprepared by those who should know better.

So who's the next chair then? Choices include another retired teacher, a retired mining manager and a retired council worker, Ieuan Evans or Bucks (which they'll all hate as they're former Scarlets).
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 8:17am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Our of curio do we know If the regions camvas suppport for the motion? Did they meet any of the grass rootts ckubs to explain the need to support the motion? Did the wru? People slate the clubs but did anyone actually talk to them about this topic?

This is such a great point RR.

I don't think (but not sure) the regions Board's arranged for break out meetings with the clubs in their region in the build up to the vote.

Like you I do ponder why not...clubs can vote how they please under the current mandate of course, but not to at least present the case from a regional point of view strikes me as an obvious step missed. At the end of the day the vote was close to getting to the required 75%...a few votes could have swung it.

It might be linked to who at a senior level at the region is responsible for that engagement, and where they are based too.

At the end of the day, one of, if not the biggest, priority of grass roots rugby is to provide the development pathway for players to have rugby as their primary occupation.

The other POV I have is many of us are local club AND regional supporters. I'd be mortified ( and doubt I would have kept my clacker) if I found out my local club had voted for things to stay as they are.

Edited by Wil Chips - 02 November 2022 at 8:19am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Our of curio do we know If the regions camvas suppport for the motion? Did they meet any of the grass rootts ckubs to explain the need to support the motion? Did the wru? People slate the clubs but did anyone actually talk to them about this topic?

This is such a great point RR.

I don't think (but not sure) the regions Board's arranged for break out meetings with the clubs in their region in the build up to the vote.

Like you I do ponder why not...clubs can vote how they please under the current mandate of course, but not to at least present the case from a regional point of view strikes me as an obvious step missed. At the end of the day the vote was close to getting to the required 75%...a few votes could have swung it.

It might be linked to who at a senior level at the region is responsible for that engagement, and where they are based too.

At the end of the day, one of, if not the biggest, priority of grass roots rugby is to provide the development pathway for players to have rugby as their primary occupation.

The other POV I have is many of us are local club AND regional supporters. I'd be mortified ( and doubt I would have kept my clacker) if I found out my local club had voted for things to stay as they are.

Another reason why boots on the ground at senior management level is so important. Each region should have held localised seminars explaining their positions with regard to the upcoming vote; local grass roots rugby clubs are not the enemy here - they are being let down by the so called professionals who run the game in Wales. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 9:03am
Club official's robust defence of their controversial vote against WRU plan

Worth a read,and should provide some balance.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 9:31am
He makes some good points the wru clearly made no effort to expain the motion, we have a ceo earning £350k who appears to be doing nothing. Walker is conspicous by his abscence in all of this. Helping run a club is hard work, it requires hours of effort usually unpaid, the vast majority people do it cos they love the sport and their team. These people are not enemies of the game they are it’s very life blood. I’m not suggesting they should be running a multi million pound business but neither should they be slated as some on social media are doing. If people want  change minds and voted there is nothing to stop then getting involved at their local club and  doing so

Edited by RR1972 - 02 November 2022 at 9:33am
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 9:52am
Walker was a great athlete who became a great wing-unfortunately for us,I still remember Botica showing him the outside in St Helens.He made a few combative statements when he was with Cardiff.Now he's Mr.Bean.
Geraint John,there's another one-like some bloke in a big factory ,you only bump into once in your working life and who has that half-embarassed look on his face because he's got the cushiest number in the world.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 10:23am

He makes some good points the wru clearly made no effort to expain the motion, we have a ceo earning £350k who appears to be doing nothing. Walker is conspicous by his abscence in all of this. Helping run a club is hard work, it requires hours of effort usually unpaid, the vast majority people do it cos they love the sport and their team. These people are not enemies of the game they are it’s very life blood. I’m not suggesting they should be running a multi million pound business but neither should they be slated as some on social media are doing. If people want  change minds and voted there is nothing to stop then getting involved at their local club and  doing so

Completely agree, on the one hand people are saying they're not qualified enough to have a say and then the people who should be qualified enough to run the game can't even get the right info to them in a timely manner.

To a large extent the clubs aren't trying to hold the game back, they just want to know what they're signing up to because like the regions they regularly get burned by the WRU.

The us v them attitude and trying to belittle them doesn't help anyone.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Club official's robust defence of their controversial vote against WRU plan

Worth a read,and should provide some balance.

It is a good read Dic. There are two sides to every story & it is pretty clear where the blame lies in this debacle. No costed proposal should even be allowed as an addenda to an AGM meeting. Detailed information should have been circulated to every voting member in good time for them to obtain the views of their own committees. 

We all talk of the amateurs running a professional game but its not the boys who do a sterling job running the likes of Aberavon Quins who are the problem here. Its the total dogs bollocks amateurs running the WRU one of whom is being paid £359K per annum. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 12:28pm
The wru , China,  Russia and North Korea all operate on the same level when it comes to sharing information 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

The wru , China,  Russia and North Korea all operate on the same level when it comes to sharing information 
Always admired your ability in the subject of geography. Must’ve been all those years teaching head of your well-earned retirement.

Do you think that the clubs would’ve been briefed better on this important matter if your return to this forum had been delayed by a few weeks, Bob?WinkWinkWink
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:19pm
I've just had a read of the WRU annual report, according to that everything is fine in Welsh rugby.

National team is on a high after a win in SA, womens and disability rugby on the up all round, regions playing in an exciting new competition, club rugby loving the new structures and participation up everywhere.

Well done everyone, all is well.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I've just had a read of the WRU annual report, according to that everything is fine in Welsh rugby.

National team is on a high after a win in SA, womens and disability rugby on the up all round, regions playing in an exciting new competition, club rugby loving the new structures and participation up everywhere.

The only way that is true is if clubs haven't got rid of old players on their WRU profile & are still listed as playing members. There have been too many fixtures called off for the statement to actually be correct.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:32pm

I always wondered where Tariq Aziz ended up.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

The only way that is true is if clubs haven't got rid of old players on their WRU profile & are still listed as playing members. There have been too many fixtures called off for the statement to actually be correct.

Funnily enough games cancelled isn't a metric that's mentioned anywhere in the 146 page report, don't want anything negative in an all encompassing annual report.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I always wondered where Tariq Aziz ended up.

Think he joined the WRU in about 2017 (kept his head down between 2015 and then).
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:41pm
Fair play to the Chairman, stepping down with organization hitting all it's KPI's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic