Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkeys and xmas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:51pm
Once you've achieved everything you've set out to do its only fair to leave someone else have a crack.
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I've just had a read of the WRU annual report, according to that everything is fine in Welsh rugby.

National team is on a high after a win in SA, womens and disability rugby on the up all round, regions playing in an exciting new competition, club rugby loving the new structures and participation up everywhere.

Well done everyone, all is well.

The only way that is true is if clubs haven't got rid of old players on their WRU profile & are still listed as playing members. There have been too many fixtures called off for the statement to actually be correct.

Funnily enough games cancelled isn't a metric that's mentioned anywhere in the 146 page report, don't want anything negative in an all encompassing annual report.

Well I have played for my local side for what must be 12 years now & we always get our games. However we have not been able to get a team for 3 matches so far this season (not including 2 cup matches which we didnt play because we couldn't raise a team in the first cup round).
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:03pm
From last weekend 33 of the 78 fixtures planned in the WRU Cup (Division 1, 2 and 3) were conceded by a team.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

From last weekend 33 of the 78 fixtures planned in the WRU Cup (Division 1, 2 and 3) were conceded by a team.

Which is a huge shame as I thought the new cup competition was a good idea as you play different teams & if you lose your first match, you can still qualify for the next round as it's a pool system.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:10pm
I had a look at All Wales Sport website and I couldn't find a league anywhere from championship to youth where all fixtures have been fulfilled, some leagues haven't had a full weekend of fixtures once yet this season!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:27pm

I've just had a read of the WRU annual report, according to that everything is fine in Welsh rugby.

National team is on a high after a win in SA, womens and disability rugby on the up all round, regions playing in an exciting new competition, club rugby loving the new structures and participation up everywhere.

Well done everyone, all is well.

LOL

I always wondered where Tariq Aziz ended up.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:29pm
But with some tickets being sold for a grand the blinkered fools in charge would see it like that 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:48pm

Which is a huge shame as I thought the new cup competition was a good idea as you play different teams & if you lose your first match, you can still qualify for the next round as it's a pool system.

Yes good point.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2022 at 11:06pm
Too many clubs for the current player base. We either increase the number of players or clubs will fold/merge.  Covid has accerlerated what was already a serious problem

Edited by RR1972 - 02 November 2022 at 11:06pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 5:04am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Too many clubs for the current player base. We either increase the number of players or clubs will fold/merge.  Covid has accerlerated what was already a serious problem

Definitely a factor, but one that needs to be recognized and addressed of course.

The evidence is everywhere.

A start would be to give significant incentives ( not just cash) to clubs that have a full development pathway from U8's through to a 2nd team...likewise giving teams that just have a first team a couple of years to fix it.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 8:00am
This is where the WRU need to inform its members of their direction, do they believe that the current volume of clubs is sustainable and have a plan to increase participation to match it? Or do they think it needs to be reduced as we'll never hit those player volumes? Or is it somewhere in-between where first teams continue and there's, for example, a reduced game format available at junior level for some clubs.

How does the club game at junior level then effectively tie in with academy, college and schools? appreciating that the club game is more than just a sport, it's a hugely important social hub for many communities.

I've probably banged on about this before, but the WRU need to tell everyone what their vision is and the plans to get there.

More success, more participation and more diversity isn't a plan, it's a marketing line.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 8:05am
As far as I can see the WRU only appear to have one plan - a roof walk on the stadium. Both Phillips & Walker clearly deemed they had enough time to go on a jolly to NZ for the World cup regardless of the catastrophy unfolding back home with club finances. Thats it boys get your priorities sorted. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 8:11am

Yes good point.

I mean there is a side that lost its first 2 games (out of 3) but got 2 bonus points in both defeats & they won their final game & now top the pool....
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 8:21am

This is where the WRU need to inform its members of their direction, do they believe that the current volume of clubs is sustainable and have a plan to increase participation to match it? Or do they think it needs to be reduced as we'll never hit those player volumes? Or is it somewhere in-between where first teams continue and there's, for example, a reduced game format available at junior level for some clubs.

How does the club game at junior level then effectively tie in with academy, college and schools? appreciating that the club game is more than just a sport, it's a hugely important social hub for many communities.

I've probably banged on about this before, but the WRU need to tell everyone what their vision is and the plans to get there.

More success, more participation and more diversity isn't a plan, it's a marketing line.
FWIW, you can carry on banging this particular drum as much as you like. It does need repeating.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Oracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 11:13am
We need to take a leaf out of the book that the F.A.W or F.AC in the future.. And the way they have taken a basket case of a situation and turned it around to the point where my wife is a big supporter of football Wales and doesn't even bother watching the Scarlets and Wales... She's going shopping Saturday afternoonOuch
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 12:32pm
Maybe it's you she's getting away from not the rugby she probably goes to Currys for 2 hours LOLWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic