Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vaea Fifita incoming?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 9:42am
"Signing star SouthernHemisphere players has become a rarity in Welsh rugby"
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 10:01am
Looking at those highlights I think we’ve got more wing cover too. 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 10:16am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I've said it before. 
Peel's game plan is essentially the same as Pivac's. We can have big players as long as they are fast and skilful. We'll never afford enough huge beasts to compete with French packs for sheer grunt, so we have to move the ball from one wing to the other and have 16-17 stone back 5 forwards there to break tackles or secure quick ball when someone is tackled.
We're still still here!
BrummieScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrummieScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 10:17am
Looking at highlights, isn't he more of a back row than out and out 2nd row?
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 10:42am

Not far from the truth. We've played Cubby, McCleod, Dan Davis etc out wide, if we get quick turnover ball, Fafita is going to make some yards. Also seems an effective ball carrier at close quarters. I make him approx 17.5 stone,  not a massive lock, but will he make up for it with brute strength?

Could be a useful 8 in an attacking scrum!

Edited by surfing-mtber - 09 January 2022 at 10:42am
Joshua24:15
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by BrummieScarlet BrummieScarlet wrote:

Looking at highlights, isn't he more of a back row than out and out 2nd row?
Yes I think so
We're still still here!
Mr Lee91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Lee91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 10:43am
Does anyone know how much his wages are?
I’d have thought around £250-£350k

With the banding system Steff Hughes can’t be on more than £110K, we’d be paying Sanjay anywhere between £50-£90K.
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 10:58am
Seeing his highlights reel against Argentina, I too would consider using him as an 8 from an attacking scrum or from an attacking lineout, he seems to be able to break the first tackle at easy and has tremendous pace.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 11:01am
Outstanding news.
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 11:26am
Started all games but 1 this season at 4 for wasps with Stooke 

Probably been one of their best players as well as Stooke

gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Not far from the truth. We've played Cubby, McCleod, Dan Davis etc out wide, if we get quick turnover ball, Fafita is going to make some yards. Also seems an effective ball carrier at close quarters. I make him approx 17.5 stone,  not a massive lock, but will he make up for it with brute strength?

Could be a useful 8 in an attacking scrum!

Exactly, I think I would rather try and stop 19st of plod than 17.5st of explosive power

Edited by gnasher1975 - 09 January 2022 at 4:11pm
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

That try against Argentina : https://youtu.be/syxfl_hOCho
And other highlights from the same match https://youtu.be/3ZDyoG9T2dE
He looked like the big kid in schools rugby that no one wants to tackle in scoring that try.

This is also being reported in today's Sunday Times, 1 of 2 front page news clips in the sports section.  the first half of the article was about the lowering of the salary cap in England and that all teams are off loading players.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 1:30pm
From December 10th in Rival Team news thread 

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I see Vincent Koch is leaving Sarries for Wasps. The English Premiership now has a salary cap £1.4m lower for the next 3 years than before covid, and teams are now only allowed one marquee “exempt” player from that rather than 2.

This might mean that a few big name players move on or don’t have contracts renewed - would be interesting to see if in 2nd rows become available next season/in the near future.

When was our last “ big name “ signing? 🤔 we probably need under the radar signings like Parkes Beirne and to a lesser extent John Barclay - who collectively moved us on to win the title 

Think this one counts Reesy! LOL
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 1:33pm
I wonder if Sean Fitzpatrick had anything to do with the signing.
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 2:07pm
He's gonna be great. The sort of quality signing we need. Hopefully with the English clubs cutting down on their squad salaries we might be able to tempt others down to the Parc. I'd take Tommy Refell or Dan Thomas in a second. 
eds
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 4:00pm
Wasps coach today not giving much away today, he said we'll know more in the next week or so.  What he did say though is that they are now paying players a lot less than previously.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic