Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for the 2022 6 Nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales Squad for the 2022 6 Nations
    Posted: 18 January 2022 at 11:31am

Forwards (20): Rhys Carre, Wyn Jones, Gareth Thomas, Ryan Elias, Dewi Lake, Bradley Roberts, Leon Brown, Tomas Francis, Dillon Lewis, Adam Beard (Vice-Captain), Ben Carter, Seb Davies, Will Rowlands, Christ Tshiunza, Taine Basham, Ellis Jenkins, Jac Morgan, Ross Moriarty, James Ratti, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs (16): Gareth Davies, Kieran Hardy, Tomos Williams, Gareth Anscombe, Dan Biggar (Captain), Rhys Priestland, Callum Sheedy, Jonathan Davies, Uilisi Halaholo, Nick Tompkins, Owen Watkin, Josh Adams, Alex Cuthbert, Louis Rees-Zammit, Johnny McNicholl, Liam Williams.

Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 11:45am
How many games are we playing while they’re away? 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 11:49am
Well that tells a story. Only two of our forwards selected which, in fairness I think is correct apart from when you see Carre & Dillon Lewis selected. Congratulations to Jac Morgan & Ratti deserved selections on form. I am no great fan of Sheedy or Tompkins but I am glad to see Owen Watkin selected. Cuthbert ahead of Lane could be contentious. Don't really know what Scott has to do to get selected. All I can say is that Pivac seems to be obsessed by English based players despite access to them being limited.

Luckiest player - Hardy; unluckiest - Scott/Reffell. 7 Scarlets selected must be our lowest representation for a number of years. Sign of the times. 
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 12:07pm
It does seem a particularly weak squad, especially at center which makes the non-selection of Scott rather perplexing. Anyone know how many of the players are English based, as it seemed quite high from my rough count. We seem to lack power in the pack and dynamism in the backs and so I expect a tough Six Nations. Mind you I said the same thing last and we were 5 minutes away from a Grand Slam so what do I know!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Well that tells a story. Only two of our forwards selected which, in fairness I think is correct apart from when you see Carre & Dillon Lewis selected. Congratulations to Jac Morgan & Ratti deserved selections on form. I am no great fan of Sheedy or Tompkins but I am glad to see Owen Watkin selected. Cuthbert ahead of Lane could be contentious. Don't really know what Scott has to do to get selected. All I can say is that Pivac seems to be obsessed by English based players despite access to them being limited.

Luckiest player - Hardy; unluckiest - Scott/Reffell. 7 Scarlets selected must be our lowest representation for a number of years. Sign of the times. 

Agree about Scott - surely, the form centre in Wales this season - unless he was injured v Bordeaux - he went off early. 

Also agree with your other comments - except, maybe, on Lane - he had a decent game last weekend, and looks good in attack, but the previous week his positional play was dreadful and he looked like a sieve in defence.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 12:32pm
Gutted for Scott Williams. The squad looks light on centres to me and with his quality and now coming back to form and fitness it seems baffling to me.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
hartson11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hartson11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 12:35pm
Baffles me what Pivac sees in Carre and Dillon Lewis.

Only two Scarlet forwards in the squad, thought there’d be one or two more but good news for us I guess.

Edited by hartson11 - 18 January 2022 at 12:35pm
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 1:13pm
How does Pivac justify the selection of Priestland and Cuthbert? Lane is on fire atm and can play 14/13, he also keeps ignoring Holmes. You have Lloyd at Bristol who is also in fine form and he picks 35 year old Priestland. Definitely Scott over Foxy who should be nowhere near the squad. I’m glad he’s picked Ratti at 8 because he’s playing really well and this will tell us if he can make the step up from club to International. WGJ of Lewis who can’t scrummage. Looks a pretty weak squad overall and has been picked with one eye on the World Cup.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 1:25pm
Regarding lewis and carre, its the Cardiff effect. Only Ratti and Davies are worthy of a place in the squad from the Cardiff pack. Yet 3 others are chosen. Jenkins has done nothing to justify his place ahead of Reffell
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
hartson11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hartson11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Regarding lewis and carre, its the Cardiff effect. Only Ratti and Davies are worthy of a place in the squad from the Cardiff pack. Yet 3 others are chosen. Jenkins has done nothing to justify his place ahead of Reffell

Ellis Jenkins? Crikey that’s a big call.

Jenkins was outstanding at blindside in the Autumn internationals, and excellent at openside against Toulouse, and in the games prior to the Autumn.

Whilst I fully agree Reffell deserves to be in the squad, for me it certainly wouldn’t be at the expense of Ellis Jenkins who can cover both flanks.

Edited by hartson11 - 18 January 2022 at 1:59pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 3:11pm
Cuthbert has been cited this afternoon.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

How does Pivac justify the selection of Priestland and Cuthbert? Lane is on fire atm and can play 14/13, he also keeps ignoring Holmes. You have Lloyd at Bristol who is also in fine form and he picks 35 year old Priestland. Definitely Scott over Foxy who should be nowhere near the squad. I’m glad he’s picked Ratti at 8 because he’s playing really well and this will tell us if he can make the step up from club to International. WGJ of Lewis who can’t scrummage. Looks a pretty weak squad overall and has been picked with one eye on the World Cup.
good points, saved me the trouble typing lol
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 3:29pm
My thoughts on the team is that it’s heavy on guys that have 20 -30 caps, but, with respect, are no nearer to being a starter.
Dillon Lewis, Carre, Watkin, Brown, Seb Davies, Hardy, one or two others.

The opportunity to bring in a few younger guys was taken up to a point with Lake and Jac Morgan’s inclusion, but will they make the 23?

Huge respect for Rhys and Cuthy, but like Scott, they’ve had their time, there are guys ready and waiting to step up.

It’s a uninspired selection.

Much hinges on the Scotland match.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 3:45pm
Not sure what to make of that lot. It really is an average squad and we are missing some top players and some top leaders. If we win 3 games i’ll be pleasantly surprised
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

good points, saved me the trouble typing lol
Lloyd isn't a 10
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

My thoughts on the team is that it’s heavy on guys that have 20 -30 caps, but, with respect, are no nearer to being a starter.
Dillon Lewis, Carre, Watkin, Brown, Seb Davies, Hardy, one or two others.

The opportunity to bring in a few younger guys was taken up to a point with Lake and Jac Morgan’s inclusion, but will they make the 23?

Huge respect for Rhys and Cuthy, but like Scott, they’ve had their time, there are guys ready and waiting to step up.

It’s a uninspired selection.

Much hinges on the Scotland match.

Don't think I agree with that at all, there is very much still a place for Scott in the side. Foxy on the other hand I think has had his time and I'm very surprised to see him selected.

I am meh. Towards rugby in general at the moment to be honest, hopefully the 6N will brighten things up again but I don't fancy our chances.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic