Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for the Autumn games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 10:59am
I think Gatland struck a good balance of dealing with the meida.
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 11:02am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Pivac coming up with the same old lines explaining why Sheedy not selected - has to go back on Tuesdays blah blah blah. Just tell the truth FFS - you ain't good enough. Will his argument hold any water when he selects Tompkins, Reffell & LRZ.

Before any of the Welsh players who play in England make any future contractual decisions think long & hard to what has happened to WGJ, Bradley Roberts & Thomas Young in recent times.
I find it baffling how you can’t see his reasoning here. Why would he want to select too many players in the squad if they play out of Wales? Tompkins, LRZ and Reffell are first choice players. Sheedy isn’t therefore he has to go back to Bristol on the Tuesday of a test week. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Oracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 11:23am
Good post , you can't integrate if the player isn't available 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 11:59am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Pivac coming up with the same old lines explaining why Sheedy not selected - has to go back on Tuesdays blah blah blah. Just tell the truth FFS - you ain't good enough. Will his argument hold any water when he selects Tompkins, Reffell & LRZ.

Before any of the Welsh players who play in England make any future contractual decisions think long & hard to what has happened to WGJ, Bradley Roberts & Thomas Young in recent times.
I find it baffling how you can’t see his reasoning here. Why would he want to select too many players in the squad if they play out of Wales? Tompkins, LRZ and Reffell are first choice players. Sheedy isn’t therefore he has to go back to Bristol on the Tuesday of a test week. 

I am equally baffled that you cannot understand my viewpoint having explained it so many times. Let me give you a perfect example. Pivac suggest when he says things like with Sheedy that lack of preparation time is critical to selection. Well take the case of Tommy Reffell. He joined the squad last June just in time to catch the plane to South Africa having played in Leicester's final on the Saturday. That did not stop him being selected to start a test match with very little time to learn the calls etc etc. This lack of preparation time is rolled out every get together & has very little merit. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 1:04pm

what’s more baffling is his lack of cover at 8 15 and picking hawkins at centre, carre who i dont rate has actually played well last two games much better than rhodri, good job he convinced that bradly guy to leave ulsterWink
jimmywilde View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmywilde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2022 at 4:56pm
Just because you explain something repeatedly doesn't necessarily make it right. 

If they are stand out first choice they need picking.
Tomas Francis could play in Italy now and they'd still pick him.

Reffell was in SA with Wales and not going back to Leicester every Tuesday. He was clearly in exceptional form so Pivac picked him.
Seems sensible to me.

Also I understand you don't like the 60 cap rule.
I think it is very good.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 7:27am
Originally posted by jimmywilde jimmywilde wrote:

Just because you explain something repeatedly doesn't necessarily make it right. 

Reffell was in SA with Wales and not going back to Leicester every Tuesday. He was clearly in exceptional form so Pivac picked him.
Seems sensible to me.

I think it is very good.

I am assuming that your post is meant in response to me or partially at least. My comment was addressing the constant excuses given by Pivac for not selecting players from English teams due to the lack of access to coaching. He states this yet selects LRZ, Tompkins, Tchiunza & Reffell & also hinted yesterday that Dafydd Jenkins would have been selected if fit. Are you suggesting that all 4/5 would be in our starting 23 against NZ.

The point about Reffell is pretty simple if you apply yourself. He had never been in camp so was totally new to the environment yet was deemed by Pivac to be ready for the first test with less than 7 days with the squad ( one of which was a travelling day). Surely that suggests that constant availability for the Welsh coaches is not deemed that necessary.

Sheedy has been in many squads ahead of guys like like Jarrod Evans who, for me, is no worse a player. I suggest that the message that should be sent to players if attendance at the Vale is deemed so necessary is therefore along the lines of if there is a player in Wales as good you will not get selected. 

Finally you are correct I am not a fan of the 60 cap rule never have been. 
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 8:39am

I am equally baffled that you cannot understand my viewpoint having explained it so many times. Let me give you a perfect example. Pivac suggest when he says things like with Sheedy that lack of preparation time is critical to selection. Well take the case of Tommy Reffell. He joined the squad last June just in time to catch the plane to South Africa having played in Leicester's final on the Saturday. That did not stop him being selected to start a test match with very little time to learn the calls etc etc. This lack of preparation time is rolled out every get together & has very little merit. 

If Sheedy was lighting the prem up with the champs like Reffell is then fair enough, but hes not, he's even slipped down the pecking order at Bristol behind AJ Mcginty 

Its more the fact that Sheedy and Priestland are 50/50 calls on who to pick, and one who is in camp the most makes most sense . Sheedy may be a slightly better 10 but his lack of experience at 15 also edges the Priestland call for me 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

If Sheedy was lighting the prem up with the champs like Reffell is then fair enough, but hes not, he's even slipped down the pecking order at Bristol behind AJ Mcginty 

Its more the fact that Sheedy and Priestland are 50/50 calls on who to pick, and one who is in camp the most makes most sense . Sheedy may be a slightly better 10 but his lack of experience at 15 also edges the Priestland call for me 

Sense is the key word Owen. I have to say that since Pivac has been head coach sense & his selections are not always present on the same page - in my opinion of course. Why Priestland??? Jarrod is No 1 at Cardiff surely. Who covers 15 if Leigh, two games back, gets a bang - surely not Priestland. If Anscombe then who plays 10 - Costelow? 

Additionally if Faletau gets a knock who covers - McLoud, again a few games back, Jac Morgan?, Tipuric? This does not have the look of a balanced squad which is going to be a top priority come France 2023. My bet is that if Faletau takes a knock in training making him doubtful for the NZ game then he calls up Moriarty who would go straight into the starting line up ahead of the other squad members. That move would alienate members of the squad quite rightly & could have been avoided with a little more thought. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 8:57am

Seems sensible to me.

I think it is very good.

I am assuming that your post is meant in response to me or partially at least. My comment was addressing the constant excuses given by Pivac for not selecting players from English teams due to the lack of access to coaching. He states this yet selects LRZ, Tompkins, Tchiunza & Reffell & also hinted yesterday that Dafydd Jenkins would have been selected if fit. Are you suggesting that all 4/5 would be in our starting 23 against NZ.

The point about Reffell is pretty simple if you apply yourself. He had never been in camp so was totally new to the environment yet was deemed by Pivac to be ready for the first test with less than 7 days with the squad ( one of which was a travelling day). Surely that suggests that constant availability for the Welsh coaches is not deemed that necessary.

Sheedy has been in many squads ahead of guys like like Jarrod Evans who, for me, is no worse a player. I suggest that the message that should be sent to players if attendance at the Vale is deemed so necessary is therefore along the lines of if there is a player in Wales as good you will not get selected. 

say most of the squad played in England you do know that Wales wouldn’t have the required numbers to complete training during the week of a test match? 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 8:58am

Sense is the key word Owen. I have to say that since Pivac has been head coach sense & his selections are not always present on the same page - in my opinion of course. Why Priestland??? Jarrod is No 1 at Cardiff surely. Who covers 15 if Leigh, two games back, gets a bang - surely not Priestland. If Anscombe then who plays 10 - Costelow? 

Additionally if Faletau gets a knock who covers - McLoud, again a few games back, Jac Morgan?, Tipuric? This does not have the look of a balanced squad which is going to be a top priority come France 2023. My bet is that if Faletau takes a knock in training making him doubtful for the NZ game then he calls up Moriarty who would go straight into the starting line up ahead of the other squad members. That move would alienate members of the squad quite rightly & could have been avoided with a little more thought. 
Because Priestland plays full-back and Jarrod doesn’t 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 9:03am

Well Steff plays is a very loose word here. One of the pre-requisites for a good club 15 is pace - the higher up the ladder you go that need becomes more critical. Now a 35/36 year old Priestland would be found badly wanting if he had to play 15 against NZ or South Africa. The logical choices surely would have been McNicholl or indeed Rhys Patchell both of whom have played 15 at International level.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 9:07am

Seems sensible to me.

I think it is very good.

say most of the squad played in England you do know that Wales wouldn’t have the required numbers to complete training during the week of a test match? 

Well Steff lets say 23 of the squad were based in England they would all be available all week so no problem. As contact at training is meant now to be extremely limited then finding another 10/12 to allow run through drills would not be too difficult. Back to reality can you name a squad since Pivac was appointed that contained more than 4/5 English based players????
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 12:38pm

Well Steff plays is a very loose word here. One of the pre-requisites for a good club 15 is pace - the higher up the ladder you go that need becomes more critical. Now a 35/36 year old Priestland would be found badly wanting if he had to play 15 against NZ or South Africa. The logical choices surely would have been McNicholl or indeed Rhys Patchell both of whom have played 15 at International level.

Close scrutiny of Patchell and Mcnichol should raise doubts re.their selection-both have shown some hesitancy,esp when ball is in the air.Pivac stuffed here-who can he pick to cover 15?Osprsys playing Nagy,Dragons Jordan(?)One English,one ignored for reluctance to tackle.Rogers injured.
He could pick Collins,but not setting world on fire,and could lead to heavy criticism if it turned out badly(Pivac picking his mate etc)Halfpenny in many ways only option-regardless of his(many)flaws,Pivac will not get slated for picking this legend.Only Priestland available for cover.More evidence of the mess in our national sport.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 12:52pm
Collins is a better 15 than priestland tbh, he is also a better 12 than hawkins. Aob is playing well at 15 for the dragons amd jonny mac looks in decent nick And  can play 15. but once biggar went down he was always going to start halfpenny. If anscombe doesn’t make it he will start preistland at ten. His comments on moriarty are bizarre given his selection of wainwright,ken, tupric thomas and cuthbert with their lack of gametime. Pivac is clueless tbh great man mangement to fat shame carre in public to

Edited by RR1972 - 20 October 2022 at 12:54pm
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2022 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Collins is a better 15 than priestland tbh, he is also a better 12 than hawkins. Aob is playing well at 15 for the dragons amd jonny mac looks in decent nick And  can play 15. but once biggar went down he was always going to start halfpenny. If anscombe doesn’t make it he will start preistland at ten. His comments on moriarty are bizarre given his selection of wainwright,ken, tupric thomas and cuthbert with their lack of gametime. Pivac is clueless tbh great man mangement to fat shame carre in public to

I'd go with Angus over Priestland....thanks for reminding me!!!
I don't think Jonny has looked his normal self at all lately.
Don't agree that Collins a better centre than Hawkins-one is quick the other slow.
Caution evidenced?If so,it's too close  to RWC to worry about losing the job.Isn't it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic