Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wales team against France
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Wales team against France

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Message
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2018
Location: Llundain
Status: Offline
Points: 1838
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 11:22pm
It would have been good, after Stevo had a bit of experience in Japan, then Sean Edwards stays on with Pivac to come in. 

It would have been better continuity.

Fundamentally this welsh side would be in a different place because they wouldn’t have had that disastrous first season with Heyward 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 15407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2022 at 11:30pm
True but i can’t see edwards and pivac working. One is a hard nosed ultra professional, one is bit of a likely lad who likes a beer and a laugh. Not a good mix imo
Back to Top
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 25261
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 5:32am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

It would have been good, after Stevo had a bit of experience in Japan, then Sean Edwards stays on with Pivac to come in. 

It would have been better continuity.

Fundamentally this welsh side would be in a different place because they wouldn’t have had that disastrous first season with Heyward 
I remain to be convinced that stevo brings anything special to the table.
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 14366
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 7:21am
Edwards is a top coach with a winning mentality. Players respect him for his achievements firstly & his dedication to the team winning mentality. He is also a very straight but very fair communicator. Pivac, for me, has none of these characteristics. He appears to talk too freely about individual players which I don't think is acceptable. 

If France win the 2023 World Cup Edwards will be a valuable commodity. I wouldn't bet against him returning to Cardiff as head coach replacing Pivac with Kevin Sinfield as his defence coach. Bring in Bomb as forwards coach & you start to have the makings of a decent coaching ticket. 
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 47576
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 8:19am
A mix of slightly odd reasonings seems to follow each team’s announcement…

Failed HIA selected in Francis.. Non failed HIA’s not selected in Tompkins ( who could understandably be left out after playing 80 mins 6 days earlier, but the management couldn’t really say that when they pick Biggar of course).

Midfield selected is ‘ solid’ rather than offering any attacking flair, Halaholo clearly isn’t in the frame either.

Gareth Thomas is the right call, albeit If there was a game to pick Wyn over him this would be it.

Back row is a tombola really. 8 players in 4 games. I haven’t got a scooby on whether it will work,, but it’s where France have been outstanding in Alldritt and Woki.

I share the view that we might struggle with France’s all round attacking game, and by picking a team to try and combat their strengths I think we’ve consigned ourselves to defeat.
Back to Top
Cofi View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 28 March 2016
Location: CAERNARFON
Status: Offline
Points: 417
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 8:51am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Edwards is a top coach with a winning mentality. Players respect him for his achievements firstly & his dedication to the team winning mentality. He is also a very straight but very fair communicator. Pivac, for me, has none of these characteristics. He appears to talk too freely about individual players which I don't think is acceptable. 

If France win the 2023 World Cup Edwards will be a valuable commodity. I wouldn't bet against him returning to Cardiff as head coach replacing Pivac with Kevin Sinfield as his defence coach. Bring in Bomb as forwards coach & you start to have the makings of a decent coaching ticket. 

I really hate the way Pivac talks about individual players
 I really don't like the way he chops and changes his teams, I dislike the way he panders to WOL to create clickbait, I 'm beginning to think he's not really a very nice man ,my opinion if him of course doesn't matter but if his personality manifests itself as one who has little respect for his players then rhat will always  make him a  mediocre coach. 
Back to Top
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 10 November 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 14351
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 9:22am
Whilst I appreciate that international rugby is predominantly about winning the next game with half an eye on the future the changes in the team from game to game must be leaving the players confused where they sit in the coaches eyes, if it was a form thing fair enough, but it's clearly not, it's all very muddled.

The age profile of the starting teams is interesting, France only have 1 player 30 or over (a prop) whereas Wales have 7, 6 of which are backs or back row. France have 5 players under 25, Wales have none.

Agree with other views that it looks like we're trying to contain France which 99% of the time won't work, they're too clinical and dynamic. They'll kick plenty and move Wales around and when they do choose to go they're hard to live with, not ideal for an aging team to play against.
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 14366
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Whilst I appreciate that international rugby is predominantly about winning the next game with half an eye on the future the changes in the team from game to game must be leaving the players confused where they sit in the coaches eyes, if it was a form thing fair enough, but it's clearly not, it's all very muddled.

The age profile of the starting teams is interesting, France only have 1 player 30 or over (a prop) whereas Wales have 7, 6 of which are backs or back row. France have 5 players under 25, Wales have none.

Agree with other views that it looks like we're trying to contain France which 99% of the time won't work, they're too clinical and dynamic. They'll kick plenty and move Wales around and when they do choose to go they're hard to live with, not ideal for an aging team to play against.

Added to the age profile which you have pointed out Pivac insists that his cavalry would make  a huge difference - he is referring to AWJ 35, Ken 35 & Halfpenny 33. The only player who is not available that would add to that team is North. 
Back to Top
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 10 November 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 14351
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 9:55am
And North would be replacing the youngest player in the team in Watkins!
Back to Top
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 11 August 2012
Location: Machynys
Status: Offline
Points: 15413
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 10:28am
I recall all the outrage when North was tried at centre by Pivac and now it’s  generally considered as a good coaching decision. Pivac does try new combinations and shows some open mindedness which is commendable. Let’s face it we have a very small chance of winning so let’s try Davies at 6 and how well it works as we need to develop depth especially up front. I am sure Saturday morning will be abuzz especially from our friends at Wales on line ! 🤨
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Back to Top
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 10 November 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 14351
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 10:40am
North first played centre for Wales in 2014.
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 15407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 10:48am
Wales are limping to the next world cup and we don’t seem to have a settled game plan or selection policy. Also we are going to need replace a huge number of the squad in the next 2 years , pivac is leaving a shambles for who ever follows him
Back to Top
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 24 July 2010
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 6410
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 11:15am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

True but i can’t see edwards and pivac working. One is a hard nosed ultra professional, one is bit of a likely lad who likes a beer and a laugh. Not a good mix imo
Sean Edwards doesn’t like a beer and a laugh?
Back to Top
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 25261
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 11:27am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I recall all the outrage when North was tried at centre by Pivac and now it’s  generally considered as a good coaching decision. Pivac does try new combinations and shows some open mindedness which is commendable. Let’s face it we have a very small chance of winning so let’s try Davies at 6 and how well it works as we need to develop depth especially up front. I am sure Saturday morning will be abuzz especially from our friends at Wales on line ! 🤨
Great time to experiment against the form team in the world Confused
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 47576
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Whilst I appreciate that international rugby is predominantly about winning the next game with half an eye on the future the changes in the team from game to game must be leaving the players confused where they sit in the coaches eyes, if it was a form thing fair enough, but it's clearly not, it's all very muddled.

The age profile of the starting teams is interesting, France only have 1 player 30 or over (a prop) whereas Wales have 7, 6 of which are backs or back row. France have 5 players under 25, Wales have none.

Agree with other views that it looks like we're trying to contain France which 99% of the time won't work, they're too clinical and dynamic. They'll kick plenty and move Wales around and when they do choose to go they're hard to live with, not ideal for an aging team to play against.



The muddled selection isn't really so much of a concern for me, the granular appreciation of selection/non selection of a player to the media however is....and it can fuel discontent in my view.

I suppose Gatland was to other extreme, team sheet would be pinned to the board at lunchtime. You're either in or out.

Back to Top
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 June 2010
Location: Sir Berk
Status: Offline
Points: 5987
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2022 at 11:35am
There are a limited number of Test matches before RWC23, so it's probably sensible to mix things up a little rather than focus on the Best Side, game in, game out. 

Some of the experimentation has been forced by injuries to the Old Guard, and some of it seems to be giving chances to quality players who have not yet nailed down their place of even position - Seb Davies & Owen Watkin fall into this bracket, for me, and they have a chance (maybe a final chance) to impress ahead of 3 summer Tests v the Boks & a final rehearsal in the '23 6Ns.

Gareth Thomas given a chance to start also seems like RWC23 prep to me, starting LH against tournament favourites..

It's often said that, like Faletau, Navidi adds enormously to the team, so can understand why they've parachuted them both straight back in - Basham stood out for his carrying, but not for his ruck work, so he's (publicly) been sent away to work on this.

Watkin & Fox look the wrong way round, but Jon is vital to D organisation, so perhaps they'll switch positions in attack, or play Left & Right.

Friday evening in Cardiff, even with the roof open, should give our lads a boost - shame the stadium won't be full, by all accounts.

Will watch with interest, rather than expectation.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.