Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team against NZ.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Luckily it’s an isolated incident. I feel safer at a rugby game than a football game. 

I agree, however I personally think Rugby is slowly but steadily (at least at the Principality) moving towards football. 

Lol if only it were, the football has better singing. Not piped in rubbish

Fundamentally, I used fo go to 2 wales home games a year and possibly an away 6N trip. Now I do one, and usually it’s Edinburgh or Twickenham. 

The WRU have genuinely ruined the atmosphere in the stadium through all our focus on £, 

it’s tragic and it shows when 65k turn up to the France game and they don’t sell out for the NZ
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 7:26am
Yes the writing is on the wall despite the corporate types boosting attendance. To not sell out a NZ game at prime kick off time on a Saturday should be a huge warning to any Union. At a guess the remaining games could see less than 70K each.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 7:51am
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Spirited effort by the team. However, this is a bang average All Blacks team (by their standards) and it was all much too easy. Lack of depth and general poor coaching (breakdowns were hopeless as was game management) lead to an inevitable defeat. Welsh rugby is in decline and it isn’t clear that there is any hope for the future.

Everytime Wales scored a penalty or try...they scored straight away....you just knew they would...their hardness and physical intensity is different stuff....I don't think I or you Sir will see a Welsh side defeat NZ...just a feeling...and if Savea is bang average and Aaron Smith....I would take average anytime.

You know what I mean - they have great players but, currently,  are also relatively ordinary in some positions (wing, centre, second row). Whereas in the last 20 years some NZ teams had no 'ordinary' internationals in the matchday 23 and beyond.
I know what you mean but I have to say, have you ever seen a weaker Welsh team. Pick any Welsh side in any year out of the last 20 years - how many of last Saturday's team would be in it.

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 07 November 2022 at 7:51am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 8:10am
Another fairly telling point is how many of that Welsh team would be selected in a joint NZ/Wales 23. 

15. Barrett 14. LRZ 13. Ioane 12. Barrett 11. Clarke 10. Mounga 9. Smith
1. de Groot 2. Taukeiaho 3. Lomax 4. Whitelock 5. Barrett 6. Frizzell 7. Savea 8. Faletau

16. Taylor 17. Tu'ungafasi 18. Newell 19. Rowlands 20. Papalil'i 21. Tomos 22. Havili 23. Lenart Brown. 

Am I at all surprised about the demise in Welsh rugby - no. I have, along with many others, pointed out the glaring mismanagement & coaching of the current coaching team. As already pointed out due to the timing of the World cup draw Pivac could well get his team to the semi final next year. Equally they could not make it out of the pool stages.

Pivac's selections have been haphazard since day one and his pathetic attempts to explain himself & players failings in the press has been consistently untenable. Yet he/they struggled through & got the extra two years not one of them warranted by their performances. If Phillips & Walker, during their little jolly to NZ, didn't sit down with Scott Robertson & offer him the coaching job from October 2023 they are the clowns most of us think they are. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 10:52am
Who'd have thought that a team that's got 8 guys in the starting line up who are 30 or over would look slower/less physical/dynamic than their opposition.

This Welsh team was struggling to make the last world cup so the question is have we largely given up on the competency of the next generation or have we not given them enough opportunities, or a bit of both.

Appreciate some of these are injured but for me the Welsh team should look something like:

Rogers, Adams, Tomkins, JBW, LRZ, Costelow, Rhodri, Faletau, Reffell/Morgan, Basham/Wainwright, Tshiunza, Rowlands, Wyn/Smith, Lake/Elias, Lucky dip.

Tighthead, 9, 10, 13 and leadership are big problems.
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 12:55pm
what became of wainwright? always looked a very industrious versatile flanker

sir duckling tuft
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

what became of wainwright? always looked a very industrious versatile flanker

I think he has struggled since he was trying to be an 8. 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 1:12pm
Yeah he fell away a bit after that experiment but he's still on 25 so time is on his side, he's got the power, pace and size to be a great international 6.

Hardly any of the experimental positional changes work for Wales, North isn't a centre, Wainwright isn't an 8, Seb Davies isn't a 6 and Rhodri Jones certainly wasn't a tighthead.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 1:19pm
flip flopping players positions always fails, pivac sadly seems hell bent on ding the same to josh adams by turning him to a full back instead of a brilliant winger
sir duckling tuft
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 1:25pm

flip flopping players positions always fails, pivac sadly seems hell bent on ding the same to josh adams by turning him to a full back instead of a brilliant winger

Sometimes needs must - Adams it must be remembered played a number of games at 15 for Worcester. Flip flopping as you call it doesn't always fail. Jamie Roberts started life as a full back before being converted to 12. Some players can genuinely thrive in more than one position - look at Lawes, Porter, Liam Williams & James Hook. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Yeah he fell away a bit after that experiment but he's still on 25 so time is on his side, he's got the power, pace and size to be a great international 6.

Hardly any of the experimental positional changes work for Wales, North isn't a centre, Wainwright isn't an 8, Seb Davies isn't a 6 and Rhodri Jones certainly wasn't a tighthead.

...and much as I love Tips, he isn't a 6.

Argentina will be coming to Cardiff on a big up. Challenging times.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

...and much as I love Tips, he isn't a 6.

Argentina will be coming to Cardiff on a big up. Challenging times.

Challenging is a good word. The first Argentinian try was top class in fairness. They created space for their 10 to take the outside ball & throw a wonderful pass in difficult conditions. He has got some gas too as he showed for the 2nd try. They will give Wales a good game thats for sure. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Sometimes needs must - Adams it must be remembered played a number of games at 15 for Worcester. Flip flopping as you call it doesn't always fail. Jamie Roberts started life as a full back before being converted to 12. Some players can genuinely thrive in more than one position - look at Lawes, Porter, Liam Williams & James Hook. 

I partly disagree, these are some of the more success stories but overall it fails...Hook never flourished when moved, liam Ill go with, he has a rare mix of skills suitable for a full back....roberts played full back in his first year then became a crash ball 12, I wasnt a big fan of him at 12 , no real footballing skills but brave as hell and strong as a horse, I much preferred henson, some blindsides can play 8 and lock, rare but it has happened
sir duckling tuft
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 2:15pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I partly disagree, these are some of the more success stories but overall it fails...Hook never flourished when moved, liam Ill go with, he has a rare mix of skills suitable for a full back....roberts played full back in his first year then became a crash ball 12, I wasnt a big fan of him at 12 , no real footballing skills but brave as hell and strong as a horse, I much preferred henson, some blindsides can play 8 and lock, rare but it has happened

I tend to agree with your overall thoughts but I question your statement " always fails". To suggest that Hook never flourished is a little off the mark in my opinion - he played for Wales at 10, 12, 13 & 15. In tournaments like the World Cup multi positional players are very much sought after. Not my favourite player but Eliot Daly has done that role for both England & the Lions. Tschiunza, for me, is just such a player at 5/6 & should be given as much exposure as possible. 

Adams & LRZ have both got experience at 15 - surely Pivac must try one of them now to avoid the situation of arriving at France 2023 with only an injury prone Liam or an aging, slowing Halfpenny.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 8:28pm
John Deveraux having a go at the Principality drinking culture, people in and out of their seats during the match and not contributing to the atmosphere.
Joshua24:15
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2022 at 8:38pm
15 Adams
14 LRZ
13 North
12 Jonny W
11 Dyer
10 Costello
9 Tomos
1 Rhodri j
2 ken
3 Francis
4 Rowlands
5 Seb D
6 Moriaty
7 Tshniza
8 Faletau

16 Roberts
17 smith
18 OConner
19 Carter
20 Wainwright
21 Blacker
22 Anscombe
23 McNichol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic