Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team to face Georgia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 4:39pm
I think Wales have the same problem England have, the RFU is a bunch of unqualified (perhaps well meaning) amateurs who are well out of their depth, employing the wrong people to run the game and the National team. Jones is by far the worst coach we have ever had and will make a mess of the World Cup again, seems Pivac is about to do the same for you. Is it too late to change now, this close to a World Cup, no not in my book. Both nations have some excellent players, they are producing the goods away from the National team, so clearly any change now would be massively beneficial. The Lions manage to pull something out of the bag without a few years run up, new coaches, throw themselves into the 6 Nations and see what happens, it can't get any worse can it?
Sponsored Links

Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 5:00pm
There is a 6 Nations and3 World Cup warm up games so agree plenty of time for a new coaching set up to bed in.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 5:08pm
The debate around sacking Pivac is a purely financial one, I don’t know anyone who is thinking he should be offered the position beyond the WC.

So the question is, is there a chance that Wales won’t make it out of the group to QFs? 

The answer to that has to be yes! We almost lost to 14man Fifi last year and have lost to Georgia today. The game against Australia is literally do or die.

And EVEN if we do beat Australia, what’s the point in keeping Pivac in place - it’s too high risk.

He’s on £400k per year so if we Sack him at the turn of the NY that’s the price plus whatever the new coach needs - ~£600k.

But leaving the World Cup in the group stages probably would cost (-£1m) plus another 5th-6th place 6N finish is maybe -300k. So there’s possibly a financial case for getting rid of him and rolling the dice on someone - anyone - to try and galvanise them dressing room. 

F*** it, I’d take Eddie Jones right now!
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 5:44pm

What hurts even more than the defeats is the lack of passion and energy...Were being out-passioned by everyone.  why do we expect any different? regional rugby is an ab[beep]e yawn fest too...

Is this just a reflection of the mess our society is currently in? 
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

What hurts even more than the defeats is the lack of passion and energy...Were being out-passioned by everyone.  why do we expect any different? regional rugby is an ab[beep]e yawn fest too...

Is this just a reflection of the mess our society is currently in? 

This can only be because the players aren’t playing for the head coach

Too many mixed messages, not enough clarity - doubt it’s it individuals who aren’t passionate about wales they’re just not sure about what they’re “supposed” to be doing.

Hence change required 
Scarlets094 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlets094 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 6:03pm
Win against Australia next week and it makes up for losing today.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Scarlets094 Scarlets094 wrote:

Win against Australia next week and it makes up for losing today.

Really? A 2 point victory over the team that just lost to Italy?

If it’s not a 15+ point victory I’d part ways.

He’s just too inconsistent. To go far in the World Cup we have to beat Fiji, Georgia, Australia and then Argentina/Japan or England. 

At the moment Pivac can’t put 2 wins together against tier 1 or tier 2 nations. He’s a liability.

Getting Gatland on a 1y to the World Cup would meaningfully put a firecracker up the players backsides, even if none of the other coaching staff changed.

(This is not going to happen, I’m just saying something like that should happen)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 6:12pm
Wales have Italy, Scotland and France AWAY in the 6N

Ireland up first and England at home.

We are staring down the barrel of a wooden spoon if something isn’t done. 

I have defended Pivac on here for years against other posters but it’s now pretty clear he is not a top coach and lived off discovering a freak Lion in Bierne , an underrated Cubby and resurgent Jon Barclay - and then had the luckiest 6N victory of all. 

He’s never put together a sustained period of good form, only a few memorable purple patches.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 6:31pm
The trouble is that if the coaches are sacked the scarlets will be signing stevo in an instant and he showed precious little after our winning season and even less with wales .
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 7:42pm
Think of the worst-case scenario…that’s the one the WRUin will adopt.
What's going on?
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

The trouble is that if the coaches are sacked the scarlets will be signing stevo in an instant and he showed precious little after our winning season and even less with wales .

His Wales tenure seems anonymous in terms of impact. Who knows whether he gets to play the game or players he wants to play mind.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Feel very sorry for Dane Blacker.

An unused sub due to the performance of the starters and some replacements meant he wasn’t risked as the pursuit of a win ended in vain.
If I was Dane, I’d be thrilled to not have this poo result on my record and perhaps a better occasion for a first cap.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 10:09pm
He must want a cap regardless
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 11:47pm
I have watched some awful Wales performances in my time, but this MUST take the biscuitConfused !

In fairness, as quite a few on the forum have said full credit to Georgia, they played well, but are a limited side, who Wales should normally (in the past) beat, 9 times out of 10.

Problem with that statement "normally", may not now come in to play...and WHY, absolute lack of depth to what we have available, particularly in the front five.

To beat Georgia, we needed to get over the gain line, and move the ball quickly, varying the point of attack. It didn't happen. Lack of ball carriers, quite evident
After two quick scores in the first half, we had Georgia on the ropes, but didn't take advantage.
They were committing offences regularly, but not once did I see Tipuric in the ref's ear.
He may have been a great player, but as a captain, has to be assertive, to ensure officials are aware that offences are mounting. Not a great choice by Pivac, but again, he has limited options.
Second half Georgians, a better side

I watched a very spirited, but flawed performance by Australia against Ireland earlier. Unlucky, to at least not get a draw.
There is very little likelihood of Wales beating them, and therefore, we would end an abysmal autumn series, and poor 2022.

I always try to be positive and have been supportive of Pivac in the past. His record though, is shockingly poor, and getting worse.
Started well, when we won 6 nations, but there were a few more options regarding players available then. We beat aussies last autumn and SA this summer, but these performances are sporadic.
He has had to experiment, due to lack of quality &numbers, but some of the decisions have been bizarre.
We desperately need ball carriers, but big guys like Rhys Carre , who despite my reservations about his scrummaging has played better this year. Moriarty is another glaring omission.

Tactically Wales seem bereft of leadership, on and off the field, with little cohesion and creativity.
There appears no clear vision of how we want to play the game, and if there is a plan, the players themselves seen inept with regard to their skills set to put any plan into practise. The game is littered with unforced errors.
Now normally, we see an improvement, as the 6 nations or Autumn series continues, as the players have had longer together. NOT THIS Time, and maybe the loss to Italy was another indication.

It's clear to me Pivac's position, whatever the result against Australia is untenable, and Stephen Jones must also shoulder the blame for the turgid and unimaginative attack, which looks for contact, not space 
It's a gamble to change a coaching team, with the world cup a year away, but we can do no worse!
There is also the financial aspect of compensation with regard to contracts (etc), to be considered, but as someone on the forum has already mentioned, if things don't change, we could lose out financially to a bigger tune in the long run.

Finally, changing the coaches, is only a short-term fix.
The bigger problem is changing the culture, structure and organisation of rugby in Wales 
HAS TO BE SERIOUS CHANGES going forward.
There has been a steady decline over the last decade, papered over by the way Gatland and his coaching team got the best out of the players, again and again.
Now he has gone, the cracks are exposed.
The regions cannot carry on failing in the way they are, and they are not supported adequately, by the top tiers of the community game or premiership.
The WRU has proved time and again, it cannot be trusted.
How can we plan for next season, when budgets, are still not yet agreed upon?
What business can possibly operate like that?

The way the union have approached the women's game, prove it can be done.
Root and branch changes need to be made and a firm commitment to build from a solid base, with strong investment to grow the game, from a young age, right through
Only then, we will have better chance of success on the international stage, on a regular basis.
This is the only way we will survive!

I stood yer on tanner bank
jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2022 at 12:09am
We are poo 
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2022 at 2:03am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

He must want a cap regardless
Absolutely. Just trying to take a positive for Dane. I’m a huge fan of his and know his time will come.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic