Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wales team to face Portugal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Wales team to face Portugal

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 11 February 2007
Location: Maldwyn's
Status: Offline
Points: 3062
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 7:16pm
Thank goodness for Falatau, everything else was dreadful. Especially abysmal were 9-13 and one has to ask, what does Humphreys do with the pack? Lineouts were totally useless. 
What's going on?
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Wwwww mince

Joined: 15 August 2004
Location: Pemberton
Status: Offline
Points: 23752
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Ironically our best case scenario next week is that Australia beat us. 
Why?

If we lose to them, it might well mean we finish third in the group. If we win, we ought to top the group with room to spare.

Well lemme rephrase it. In our best interests to finish second in the group. 
Ok lemme Wink

Always liked Hawkwind.

What’s the benefit of finishing second?

I’d rather play northern hemisphere teams than southern hemisphere. 
Back to Top
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 13 March 2012
Location: South Suffolk
Status: Offline
Points: 21725
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Ironically our best case scenario next week is that Australia beat us. 
Why?

If we lose to them, it might well mean we finish third in the group. If we win, we ought to top the group with room to spare.

Well lemme rephrase it. In our best interests to finish second in the group. 
Ok lemme Wink

Always liked Hawkwind.

What’s the benefit of finishing second?

I’d rather play northern hemisphere teams than southern hemisphere. 
Ok, I understand now. The pundits thought we’d be better off v Argentina.

After today, let’s qualify for the QF one way or another.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Back to Top
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 November 2015
Location: llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 2475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 9:34pm
Fifita scores for Tonga, against stong Irish  team, and could have a second in 2nd half
As opposed to Wales,  Ireland efficient  and clinical in the first half.
Tonga, rather patchy,  great in parts,  but discipline sometimes  let's them down 
I stood yer on tanner bank
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Pembs
Status: Offline
Points: 50768
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 9:43pm
Error strewn Welsh performance. Portugal gave a good account for themselves.

I have to acknowledge that my surprise at seeing Tompkins picked in front of Jonny Williams was pretty baseless. Welsh backs were generally ponderous ( I’m being polite).
No one put their hand up to be included in the Aus game.
Back to Top
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 November 2015
Location: llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 2475
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Error strewn Welsh performance. Portugal gave a good account for themselves.

I have to acknowledge that my surprise at seeing Tompkins picked in front of Jonny Williams was pretty baseless. Welsh backs were generally ponderous ( I’m being polite).
No one put their hand up to be included in the Aus game.

I agree with Will.
We all know at Scarlets what a physical dimension Jonny Willjams brings to the game. We have not got many 'heavy duty' carriers,  so he is an essential  cog in our wheel at Parc.
This game was his first game since being injured against  Glasgow .
What is apparent  however, is that he needs to impove his all-round skill set,and today's game proved it.
An awareness of others and distribution,  are qualities to work on.
In my view , this is where Tomkins has the edge, even though he may not have the physical  attributes  of Jonny.
Tompkins has his detractors on SF, but he is  really good player, who would never hold his place in the Sarries team if he was'nt !
He will start against Aussies, and thereafter. 
Wholesale changes also needed, to add to the above.
 


I stood yer on tanner bank
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 18576
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 8:26am
Can't really add much to what has already been said. Gaffer was spot on and singled out 9/10/12 & 13 as being pretty ropey. A lot has been said from within the Welsh camp about Mason Grady. I have to admit I see nothing - just being 6 foot 5 inches and 17 stone 4 lbs does not make you a good rugby player. Gatland has made an awful mistake in leaving Joe Roberts behind. He is light years ahead of Grady as a centre.

Joe understands the game, can pick a line, has the pace to go outside his opponent & can pass. Grady can do none of the above. The only players from that starting 15 I would consider for the 23 next week are Daf, Taulupe Jac & Dyer who impresses me with how combative he is in the air which in the modern game is pretty important.

My 23 for Australia would be -

15. Liam 14. LRZ 13. North 12. Tompkins 11. Dyer 10. Costelow 9. Cawdor
1. Thomas 2. Ryan 3. Francis 4. Rowlands 5. Beard 6. Wainwright 7. Jac 8. Taulupe

16. Dee 17. Domochowski 18. Thomas 19. Daf 20. Tschiunza 21. Tomos 22. Biggar 23. Adams

Another player, like Grady, who is living off a false reputation is Lake. Again he is always talked of as a real unit tough as teak but rugby is surely more than that. You have to be able to think and do basic skills which he seems totally incapable of. 

I am looking forward to the Australia Fiji game today. I have to say even with that team above I do not fancy our chances against the Aussies. They have some serious carrying power available which we can only dream of. Skelton, if fit, against Beard should be declared a no contest now. 
Back to Top
Llanelli1963 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 24 February 2022
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 152
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 9:49am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Can't really add much to what has already been said. Gaffer was spot on and singled out 9/10/12 & 13 as being pretty ropey. A lot has been said from within the Welsh camp about Mason Grady. I have to admit I see nothing - just being 6 foot 5 inches and 17 stone 4 lbs does not make you a good rugby player. Gatland has made an awful mistake in leaving Joe Roberts behind. He is light years ahead of Grady as a centre.

Joe understands the game, can pick a line, has the pace to go outside his opponent & can pass. Grady can do none of the above. The only players from that starting 15 I would consider for the 23 next week are Daf, Taulupe Jac & Dyer who impresses me with how combative he is in the air which in the modern game is pretty important.

My 23 for Australia would be -

15. Liam 14. LRZ 13. North 12. Tompkins 11. Dyer 10. Costelow 9. Cawdor
1. Thomas 2. Ryan 3. Francis 4. Rowlands 5. Beard 6. Wainwright 7. Jac 8. Taulupe

16. Dee 17. Domochowski 18. Thomas 19. Daf 20. Tschiunza 21. Tomos 22. Biggar 23. Adams

Another player, like Grady, who is living off a false reputation is Lake. Again he is always talked of as a real unit tough as teak but rugby is surely more than that. You have to be able to think and do basic skills which he seems totally incapable of. 

I am looking forward to the Australia Fiji game today. I have to say even with that team above I do not fancy our chances against the Aussies. They have some serious carrying power available which we can only dream of. Skelton, if fit, against Beard should be declared a no contest now. 
 Tschiunza hahahaha
Back to Top
Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 04 October 2020
Location: Carmarthenshire
Status: Offline
Points: 281
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boisbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 9:50am
Agree with that side but with a couple of changes, Biggar starts for me.

Would also bring Reffell on to the bench instead of Daf or Tschiunza.
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 18576
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Llanelli1963 Llanelli1963 wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Can't really add much to what has already been said. Gaffer was spot on and singled out 9/10/12 & 13 as being pretty ropey. A lot has been said from within the Welsh camp about Mason Grady. I have to admit I see nothing - just being 6 foot 5 inches and 17 stone 4 lbs does not make you a good rugby player. Gatland has made an awful mistake in leaving Joe Roberts behind. He is light years ahead of Grady as a centre.

Joe understands the game, can pick a line, has the pace to go outside his opponent & can pass. Grady can do none of the above. The only players from that starting 15 I would consider for the 23 next week are Daf, Taulupe Jac & Dyer who impresses me with how combative he is in the air which in the modern game is pretty important.

My 23 for Australia would be -

15. Liam 14. LRZ 13. North 12. Tompkins 11. Dyer 10. Costelow 9. Cawdor
1. Thomas 2. Ryan 3. Francis 4. Rowlands 5. Beard 6. Wainwright 7. Jac 8. Taulupe

16. Dee 17. Domochowski 18. Thomas 19. Daf 20. Tschiunza 21. Tomos 22. Biggar 23. Adams

Another player, like Grady, who is living off a false reputation is Lake. Again he is always talked of as a real unit tough as teak but rugby is surely more than that. You have to be able to think and do basic skills which he seems totally incapable of. 

I am looking forward to the Australia Fiji game today. I have to say even with that team above I do not fancy our chances against the Aussies. They have some serious carrying power available which we can only dream of. Skelton, if fit, against Beard should be declared a no contest now. 
 Tschiunza hahahaha

You do have some form on the lad so pardon me for not taking your comments too seriously. Ouch
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 18576
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Boisbach Boisbach wrote:

Agree with that side but with a couple of changes, Biggar starts for me.

Would also bring Reffell on to the bench instead of Daf or Tschiunza.

My thinking with Biggar is that we are struggling firstly to get shape in our attacking game & we seem incapable of closing games out. Costelow should have more chance of sparking attacks & Biggar is probably our best man for controlling the end. That, of course, is not without dangers as Tomos Williams is struggling big time at the moment.

All the ideas will, of course, come to nothing if we keep being as ill disciplined as we have been to date. 
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Pembs
Status: Offline
Points: 50768
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 10:09am
Joe Roberts point is well made GPR.

I’m guessing his knee counted against him - his time will come, he’s our first choice 13 ( Scarlets), and no doubt will be so for Wales in due course.
Back to Top
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 18754
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Joe Roberts point is well made GPR.

I’m guessing his knee counted against him - his time will come, he’s our first choice 13 ( Scarlets), and no doubt will be so for Wales in due course.

I'm no expert on centre play, but did think people were a bit too quick to write off Grady on the basis of one poor performance... surely, he will improve with experience and has significant physical attributes - but I do agree that Joe is further along the development route as far as skill is concerned, and maybe should have had the nod instead.

Also, as GPR says, we of a Scarlet tendency did think Jonny W should have started in front of Tompkins the other day, but he didn't look at his best in this game so the coaches called that one correctly. If our centres are properly fit, though, they should make for a powerful combination along with those left in Llanelli...!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Back to Top
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 18754
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Can't really add much to what has already been said. Gaffer was spot on and singled out 9/10/12 & 13 as being pretty ropey. A lot has been said from within the Welsh camp about Mason Grady. I have to admit I see nothing - just being 6 foot 5 inches and 17 stone 4 lbs does not make you a good rugby player. Gatland has made an awful mistake in leaving Joe Roberts behind. He is light years ahead of Grady as a centre.

Joe understands the game, can pick a line, has the pace to go outside his opponent & can pass. Grady can do none of the above. The only players from that starting 15 I would consider for the 23 next week are Daf, Taulupe Jac & Dyer who impresses me with how combative he is in the air which in the modern game is pretty important.

My 23 for Australia would be -

15. Liam 14. LRZ 13. North 12. Tompkins 11. Dyer 10. Costelow 9. Cawdor
1. Thomas 2. Ryan 3. Francis 4. Rowlands 5. Beard 6. Wainwright 7. Jac 8. Taulupe

16. Dee 17. Domochowski 18. Thomas 19. Daf 20. Tschiunza 21. Tomos 22. Biggar 23. Adams

Another player, like Grady, who is living off a false reputation is Lake. Again he is always talked of as a real unit tough as teak but rugby is surely more than that. You have to be able to think and do basic skills which he seems totally incapable of. 

I am looking forward to the Australia Fiji game today. I have to say even with that team above I do not fancy our chances against the Aussies. They have some serious carrying power available which we can only dream of. Skelton, if fit, against Beard should be declared a no contest now. 

Not a bad team at all...

I'd prefer to swap Adams with Dyer for his experience, though Dyer was certainly one of the better players v Portugal.

Also, I'd rather start with Jenkins and not Beard... since as you say he won't compete with Skelton in any case. Jenkins will at least get around the park, do some dog work at the breakdown, tackle etc. Beard can 'lend his weight' at scrum time and wave his arms about at the lineout...

Biggar has to start. Costelow in difficult circumstances has yet to really show up at the RWC. He's better as a back-up than Anscombe, though - he looked really rusty.

Despite some ribaldry from other quarters, you are right to include Tshiunza who was one of very few who played well v Portugal. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 18098
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 12:50pm
Jenkibs ahead of beard for me, basham on bench.  Lrz looks sharp give him more ball
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 18098
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2023 at 12:51pm
Jonny w big strong boy but not much of a footballer is he? Passing v poor
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.