Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team v Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2022 at 5:42am
It is indeed an odd selection - surely the only justification for picking AWJ is to ensure he gets to 150 caps... a surprisingly sentimental selection from a Kiwi - Gatland never picked Doc Roberts to get him to 100, even though he could have in some less important matches. Maybe he values AWJ's leadership qualities, though - I did think Biggar was far too half-hearted and polite when asking the ref to look at Itoje's barge v Wales, leading to their try. Rowlands has been one of Wales's best players this season, so odd.

I though Cawdor should have started last week after his recent form - so the 'oddness' there is that it's a week too late.

Risky leaving out Francis, the only good scrummager we have at TH... Elias has had a decent tournament, so I guess Pivac is simply 'rewarding' squad members such as Roberts as well as Sheedy and Tompkins.

Very much a mix and match side - it could go very wrong, but shouldn't against Italy, who haven't played well this season.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 12:04pm
I just want to wish Dan Biggar and AWJ a massive good luck ahead of the match today. Two legends of Welsh Rugby and they should both be proud of themselves. Good luck boys and the Welsh team.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 2:39pm
Poor left handed pass from McNicholl to LRZ

Basic skills at this level 

LRZ then makes the break but doesn’t pass to Adams. Sometimes being a greedy winger is good, other times you need to have better nous

https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

I just want to wish Dan Biggar and AWJ a massive good luck ahead of the match today. Two legends of Welsh Rugby and they should both be proud of themselves. Good luck boys and the Welsh team.

I very much doubt Biggar will be mentioned among the likes of Barry John, Phil Bennet, but AWJ I agree. 
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

I really don’t get what Pivac is trying to do with the squad because he’s clearly not trying to blood youngsters.
Why pick AWJ over Rowlands? He should of had Ben Carter on the bench for game time. Where is Ratt? We know what Faletau can do why not bring him of the bench to replace Ratti.
I really don’t rate Pivac, he’s selecting his teams to win the next game that’s it.

I don't think there's any coherent plan at all. This selection is baffling in the extreme. 

JD, Elias, Liam. Anscombe, Cuthbert, Jac Morgan, Francis all jettisoned completely from the squad - I'm not sure this team is guaranteed to beat Italy. 

Let's face it, this is what happens when chancers are left to run the show.
Italy are dreadful. This side should win by at least 20

At half time this isn't going well.
What's going on?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 3:12pm
Very poor by Wales so far... just as well the ref team agreed with my view that Ioane pulled down McNicholl - it only takes a little tug on someone in mid-air to completely change their body shape... a couple of the 'experts' thought it was a 'fair contest' and that Italy had a try!

Wales will have to pick it up enormously second half to win this... they need and deserve a real bo**ocking at half time!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
BigM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 3:23pm
Great tackle Adams
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 3:25pm
One area Wales have been consistently poor at all 6 nations is support of the carrier. It's like no-one expects any of our players to actually make any positive carries. 
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:05pm
This loss has been coming for a long time. Well played Italy. And goodbye Wayne
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:08pm
Quite happy for Italy to be honest. 
Openside75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Openside75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:08pm
Can all those stating get rid of Italy from this finest of competitions, please sit down. And Mcnichol, that's what attacking play looks like. 
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:09pm
Delighted for Italy. we were embarassing, maybe its us who should be replaced in the 6 nations
sir duckling tuft
Openside75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Openside75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:15pm
A young, lightweight FB. Can't help think of Tom Rodgers. Has to be called up for the Autumn. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:18pm
why were we kicking ball away aimlessly even in the last 5/10 minutes? 
sir duckling tuft
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Openside75 Openside75 wrote:

A young, lightweight FB. Can't help think of Tom Rodgers. Has to be called up for the Autumn. 

we never played the likes of mathew morgan because hes not 90kg?
sir duckling tuft
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2022 at 4:27pm
Very disappointing, and well done Italy - they deserved that.

For a start, and as many pointed out - it was an odd selection.

Why was AWJ brought back - sentiment? Rowlands has been playing well. Why Roberts on the bench and Elias nowhere? Ryan has been first choice all season. Why no Francis - unless he was unfit? Halaholo looked out of his depth - Tompkins was better when he came on. Jonny Mac was hardly an upgrade on Liam... and so on.

So - coaches to blame for poor selection, but players also to blame for lack of energy - looked like everyone thought all they had to do to win was turn up, but test rugby isn't like that. 

I thought Wyn had scored his try, and if the ref had given it it would have stood...we would also have won if we'd kicked just one of those first half penalties instead of going for 5m lineouts... so we could have won it anyway with better decision making.

Would we have deserved to win it though? No.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic