Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales team v Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2022 at 6:16am
I think this is spot on.

It's not pretty or clever but a ball carrier at 12 is pivotal to the attacking game again today. Ireland (Aki) and France (Danty) a case in point. England planned to do the same with Tuilagi, Wales exclusively used Roberts for this for a decade.

It keeps the opposition back row occupied as well as their 10/12...whether you use the 12 to carry or dummy, as long as you recycle quickly and have slick passing it gets the defence scrambling.

The Italian back line, which is decent defensively, had a fairly easy time of it.

Edited by Wil Chips - 22 March 2022 at 6:17am
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2022 at 7:22am
Gainline is king along with breakdown efficiency. Wales, at the moment are poor at both. Pivac, Jones & Humphries are not International standard in my opinion. If we are going to make a coaching move better to do it quickly because we are going to be in competition with England!!!!

Sensible thing would be to contract someone from 2023 & appoint a caretaker for now. Bring Howley back from Canada - he is not my favourite coach but he is better than we have at the moment.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2022 at 7:40am
Another issue is we don’t counter attack from kicks to us either.if we don’t have a ball carrying 12 at least play a ball playing 12 like lloyd or scott.  We haven’t managed to pick neither 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2022 at 6:03pm
No offence but about 6 months ago a decent chunk of posters on here didn’t think Scott Williams was good enough to come off the scarlets bench.

Suddenly after a few nice games early on in the season, he’s being pinned up as Wales’ saving grace.

Likewise with Ioan Lloyd, the guy can hardly get a game for Bristol in his preferred position of 10 or fullback. As an international 12 I’d be amazed if he wasn’t steamrollered by the likes of Tuilagi, Dante & Aki.

People had high hopes for Halaholo, like some did for Jonny Williams. But I think Pivac now knows they’re both good quality club players and not quite gonna crack it at International.

His only hope is Tompkins continuing to improve at international level and then North being fit. 

The other position that needs depth imo is 15. Sanjay one of my favourite players but not in good form, likewise Jonny can be really good but also very average at international level. That’s where I see some potential space for Lloyd but he is very much unproven tbh. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2022 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Sensible thing would be to contract someone from 2023 & appoint a caretaker for now. Bring Howley back from Canada - he is not my favourite coach but he is better than we have at the moment.

At what point under Howler did Wales ever have a good attack?

In 2019 we won a grand slam scoring the least amount of tries a winning side has ever?

Outside of the 30-3 did Wales actually ever look like a good attacking side? From memory it’s a few crash bang tries from North and Cuthbert but the rest of it was opportunism and Halfpenny’s boot.

There were also A LOT of try-less games vs Southern Hemisphere teams. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2022 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Another issue is we don’t counter attack from kicks to us either.if we don’t have a ball carrying 12 at least play a ball playing 12 like lloyd or scott.  We haven’t managed to pick neither 

We don’t really have an Aki/Dante/Tuilagi in Wales right now.

Eddie James one that could come through
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2022 at 7:47pm
What about the young guy at the O's, Kieron Williams ?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 7:40am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

At what point under Howler did Wales ever have a good attack?

In 2019 we won a grand slam scoring the least amount of tries a winning side has ever?

Outside of the 30-3 did Wales actually ever look like a good attacking side? From memory it’s a few crash bang tries from North and Cuthbert but the rest of it was opportunism and Halfpenny’s boot.

There were also A LOT of try-less games vs Southern Hemisphere teams. 

I am not suggesting its the answer Dyniol just someone who could step in and run matters until a new long term coach arrives post 2023. If Scott Robertson is ready to take over now get him in.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 9:22am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

No offence but about 6 months ago a decent chunk of posters on here didn’t think Scott Williams was good enough to come off the scarlets bench.

Suddenly after a few nice games early on in the season, he’s being pinned up as Wales’ saving grace.

Likewise with Ioan Lloyd, the guy can hardly get a game for Bristol in his preferred position of 10 or fullback. As an international 12 I’d be amazed if he wasn’t steamrollered by the likes of Tuilagi, Dante & Aki.

People had high hopes for Halaholo, like some did for Jonny Williams. But I think Pivac now knows they’re both good quality club players and not quite gonna crack it at International.

His only hope is Tompkins continuing to improve at international level and then North being fit. 

The other position that needs depth imo is 15. Sanjay one of my favourite players but not in good form, likewise Jonny can be really good but also very average at international level. That’s where I see some potential space for Lloyd but he is very much unproven tbh. 

I wouldn't write off Johnny Williams as an international 12 yet, he's still only 25 and I think he could be that power option. Agree with Mr Chips that Eddie James looks like he's got it, big guy with good feet and generally makes good decisions, be nice to see him off the bench for us a few times this season.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 10:35am
From what ive seen ioan lloyd is a better defender than halahalo tbh, ive always rated beck as a 12 and i feel willians wAs harshly treated and dumped far too quickly by pivac and co

Edited by RR1972 - 24 March 2022 at 10:36am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 10:57am
Until they start selecting on current form it will always be compromised. I have a feeling that AWJ will forever regret rushing back to get his 150th cap. What current form did Halaholo have? 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 11:05am
Pivac selections all over the shop anscombe starting anscombe in 23 anscombe not in 23 anscombe back in 23 then anscombe not in 23 is just one example, same with hardy and cawdor the man doesn’t know what he is doing from 1 week to the next
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 11:21am
Pivac has been deseprate to get Halaholo in the starting XV even if he isn't match fit. The inclusion of AWJ was a pointless decision, made even worse by dropping arguably our player of the tournament Rowlands. Hardy has been on the bench ahead of Cawdor, then suddenly Cawdor is ahead of him.
Llanelli1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Pivac has been deseprate to get Halaholo in the starting XV even if he isn't match fit. The inclusion of AWJ was a pointless decision, made even worse by dropping arguably our player of the tournament Rowlands. Hardy has been on the bench ahead of Cawdor, then suddenly Cawdor is ahead of him.
does everyone still think pivac picked AWJ? Lol 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 11:23am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

What about the young guy at the O's, Kieron Williams ?

Stack of time for him. Strong direct runner, always working on his game.

Probably a little undersized for absolute top level at 80kgs, but heart of a lion just the same.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 11:26am
Anscombe, Collins, JMac, Halaholo not only share a common ancestry, he also knows their capabilities from their time together in NZ.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic