Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v England women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2023 at 5:54pm
And having a population 10 times the size of Wales will help
Sponsored Links

Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2023 at 6:19pm
Probably closer to 15 times more but we have the same population difference for men’s internationals and don’t seem to do too bad there.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2023 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

England have sold more than 50,000 tickets for their Grand Slam decider - crowds were around 10000 pre  Covid - it just shows success sells and the impact of some sensible marketing and investment.

Good point...and one lost on a SF poster who was of the opinion, that the WAG, should be sponsoring,  the Women’s  game in Wales, or it should almost cease  to exist until it became financially  viable.
I reminded him that most pro sport , unless it's in the upper echelon of the Premier League, is not financially  viable. 
Too make it more viable  however, you have to grow it.
There are parallels  here, with the British economy,lack of investment  etc.
When you invest in age grade rugby, with coaching and infrastructure, 
It's obvious,  you are going to unearth talent. We in Wales, being a small country,  need to tap into that available  talent ,  capture it, nurture it, develop it and finally exploitvand showcase it !
That is the same for the men's and womens  game. 
The way you fill stadium's attract sponsors, is to become successful.
I went to Kingsholm , last Womens 6N,  to see Eng v Wal.
After the game I talked to various  people, including  parents of some of the English players.
They said not long ago, they were playing in front of 2 to 3 thousand, I was told. LOOK AT IT NOW!
Development  is the key, so I hope the WRU, keeps listening. 

I stood yer on tanner bank
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2023 at 5:01pm
Congrats to England on the Grand slam in front of a World crowd of over58, 000.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2023 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Congrats to England on the Grand slam in front of a World crowd of over58, 000.
Yes congrats to England. France though must be regretting their start to this game, by not (like wales) ,not making pressure count on scoreboard.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2023 at 8:24am
A very progressive season for the Welsh team. 3 wins ( 2 away).

This means they play in the Top tier of the WF tournament in the Autumn I think.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2023 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

A very progressive season for the Welsh team. 3 wins ( 2 away).

This means they play in the Top tier of the WF tournament in the Autumn I think.

Well done to all concerned. If some fellow posters still question why investment is needed in the womens' game then surely they now have the answers. 58,000 in Twickenham yesterday and a record crowd at Cardiff for the England game. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2023 at 11:12am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

[QUOTE=Wil Chips]A very progressive season for the Welsh team. 3 wins ( 2 away).

Well done to all concerned. If some fellow posters still question why investment is needed in the womens' game then surely they now have the answers. 58,000 in Twickenham yesterday and a record 

Thanks will and GPR
Its difficult for those on the  forum to fully appreciate the sacrifice the women made , prior to professionalism.
The jersey presentation by Sam Warburton , not long ago in the dressing room ,prior to a women's game, when he spoke passionately, about the honour of pulling on that jersey and  representing your country.
So many women have done that over the years, some travelling up and back to north wales, in a day just to train with the national team. Many have been working shifts, managing families , then travelling, training, putting in a huge shift, then going home.
We like in a gender balanced society, why shouldn't women have the same opportunities as men ? 

What is obvious now, is that game is growing.
People respond to success, which is why we had 58,000 in Twickenham yesterday.
England have been pro now for three years and it shows.
It is not just the physicality, but the finely tuned skills, which did for Wales, in our recent 6N match.
For Wales , a huge step forward , and not just in results.
Three wins were great, and beating the Italians, for the first time in 6 years was sweet.
However, in the games against the "big two", England and France, Wales showed in periods , how much they have improved. Against England , we had them rattled for almost 30 mins, but could not turn pressure into points, almost like France (early doors) yesterday. They have pressure and score, , eventually running away with the game.
Playing in a new structured league, against the best, will be a huge test for the girls, buts its exactly what they need , and this how you improve.

Further down the line the way forward is to feed off the momentum and continue to grow the game at age grade level. As I have said before, we are a small country, and need to maximise our resources.
Wales need desperately need to increase the pool of talent available to us( both men and women),and that can only come with increased WRU, investment in conjunction, with schools and colleges.
It could be an exiting future future for Women's rugby, and the ridiculous, negative comments of one poster in particular on SF, are now clearly put into perspective.
"Onwards and upwards !"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic