Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Ireland teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 1:08pm
Sorry about that GPR. hopefully i am miles off and Pivac can inspire us to a win. Ireland is the side i want to win more than any. their press has got so full of themselves running us down recently.
even prefer the english (well until the england game!).
i think if we had everyone fully fit we could run them very close. would have loved to have seen a fit and firing rob evs/samson/foxey/shingler/navidi and moriarty as well as botham in the mix.
its the bench i think we will miss out on, 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 1:15pm
Well form certainly hasn’t entered his head with those backs. North on the wing and Watkin it should be. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 1:41pm
I'm not optimistic - to many players either not in great form or returning from injury for my taste. I don't blame Pivac for selecting North at centre, though - our 'normal' centres have not been playing well - at least, North is on form and appears fully fit and powerful. SA14 has a point about Watkin though, if he is fit. J Williams hasn't shown much yet.

I'd also have had Jarrod Evans in there somewhere - two 'steady eddies' at 10 isn't going to change anything, however you shuffle them about.

The biggest surprise, for me, is that Jake isn't even in the 23 - Rowlands has shown nothing. Is it thought he is not fit enough? He's not done badly in his games back. 

And what about Rhodri Jones? He was so promising, got messed about with a daft switch to TH prop (Not his fault) - is he back playing well, or does that reflect the paucity of talent at LH (Rob Evans being injured)?

A comfortable win for Ireland, I fear.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:00pm
As most have said, I literally can’t see where or why we could get the upper hand.

Set piece? Line outs, scrum, mauls - nope
Jackle treats? Nope
Carrying? Nope
Aggressive defence? Nope
Creative half backs? Possibly even
Kicking game? Nope
Place kicking? That’s ours to be fair 
Midfield battle? Nope
Back 3? Hard to tell

The only way we’ll win is some genius tactics or genius bit of luck...
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

As most have said, I literally can’t see where or why we could get the upper hand.

Set piece? Line outs, scrum, mauls - nope
Jackle treats? Nope
Carrying? Nope
Aggressive defence? Nope
Creative half backs? Possibly even
Kicking game? Nope
Place kicking? That’s ours to be fair 
Midfield battle? Nope
Back 3? Hard to tell

The only way we’ll win is some genius tactics or genius bit of luck...

Yes your points are fair. It is of course a two horse race so anything can happen - early red card etc. This Irish team are not unknown to have patches of mediocrity which may well just let us in. Any win will do this Welsh squad & will build that precious momentum. Travelling to Edinburgh with a win under our belts will be a lot easier than going to try to break a losing sequence.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I'm not optimistic - to many players either not in great form or returning from injury for my taste. I don't blame Pivac for selecting North at centre, though - our 'normal' centres have not been playing well - at least, North is on form and appears fully fit and powerful. SA14 has a point about Watkin though, if he is fit. J Williams hasn't shown much yet.

I'd also have had Jarrod Evans in there somewhere - two 'steady eddies' at 10 isn't going to change anything, however you shuffle them about.

The biggest surprise, for me, is that Jake isn't even in the 23 - Rowlands has shown nothing. Is it thought he is not fit enough? He's not done badly in his games back. 

And what about Rhodri Jones? He was so promising, got messed about with a daft switch to TH prop (Not his fault) - is he back playing well, or does that reflect the paucity of talent at LH (Rob Evans being injured)?

Sheedy seems quite an exciting player, and Bristol’s backs have been playing some superb stuff (although having Redrada outside does make it easier!), so I wouldn’t call him a ‘steady eddie‘ personally. As for Jarrod his defence does seem rather suspect and Ireland certainly wouldn’t afford him the time and space that we did so I don’t mind that selection. Otherwise I’d agree with everything you said, especially the non-selection of Jake.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Maybe our starting front row can cause a bit of mayhem & disruption but I can't see past an Ireland win by 20 points.
I think it will be a one score game with Ireland's bench swinging it in their favour. The Welsh boys are really up for this one 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:18pm
lol this team selection LOL

Pivac is quite the lad isn't he?

Beard not in last squad now he;s starting, ball was the starting lock now he's not in the 23

Pivac spends weeks talking up evans then leaves him off the bench

We lose our 2 first choice wingers, so he decides to move the form winger in wales into the centre

Picks Tompkins on the bench who is right out of form and tbh dee has been poor this season

No way Tompkins and dee have been better than Roberts and parry/Phillips

Bizarre logic in his selections yet again  in all honesty

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Sheedy seems quite an exciting player, and Bristol’s backs have been playing some superb stuff (although having Redrada outside does make it easier!), so I wouldn’t call him a ‘steady eddie‘ personally. 

As for Jarrod his defence does seem rather suspect and Ireland certainly wouldn’t afford him the time and space that we did so I don’t mind that selection. 

Playing in a dominant pack with some superb players outside, as you say.

However, I fail to see anything Sheedy did in the Autumn that warrants him a place on the bench above Jarrod Evans - who actually has the ability to make something from nothing.

Sheedy seems to run quite laterally. Some of his cross field kicks are nice but he’s no more of a threat with ball in hand than Biggar, and Biggar’s better with the boot.

Maybe Sheedy is a prospect but I’m waiting to see what others seem to see in him
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:34pm
I’d say there are 4 or 5 players who need at the very least a good performance.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

To win I'd say we need more like 13 or 14 to. Although I've never really thought about it before, how many players can have a bad game yet the team still win. Or the minimum number having a good game.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:40pm
That's got to be the most uninspiring Welsh selection since the days of Clive Rowlands at scrum half.  😖🙁😕
Keep the faith
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

To win I'd say we need more like 13 or 14 to. Although I've never really thought about it before, how many players can have a bad game yet the team still win. Or the minimum number having a good game.

Don't think Wil meant 4/5 playing well will give us victory more about selection justification I think. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Don't think Wil meant 4/5 playing well will give us victory more about selection justification I think. 

Ah I see, yes makes more sense. Winning would justify quite a few selections for me then. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Beard not in last squad now he;s starting, ball was the starting lock now he's not in the 23

We lose our 2 first choice wingers, so he decides to move the form winger in wales into the centre

Picks Tompkins on the bench who is right out of form and tbh dee has been poor this season

Pivac tried his best to select Rhys Priestland ahead of Jarrod Evans but the PRB voted against it. It's quite clear he doesn't rate Evans that highly.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Pivac tried his best to select Rhys Priestland ahead of Jarrod Evans but the PRB voted against it. It's quite clear he doesn't rate Evans that highly.
that's 2 of you then Wink whatever his issues are he is the most creative 10 we've seen this season in regional rugby,thank goodness parkes has moved on or pivac might have picked him at 10.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic