Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales - way forward.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales - way forward.
    Posted: 27 November 2022 at 9:38am
Think most would agree that change of coach/s is needed. Lets assume that the WRU are efficient ( a hell of a leap but bare with me). Therefore the head coach post 2023 World Cup will be sorted and he will be busy planning his team. 

That leaves a short term role for a coach through the 6 nations and to the World Cup. 1st target for new coach is to formulate a squad which will avoid embarrassment i.e. beat Italy & Scotland in the 6 nations and Fiji, Georgia & Portugal in France - thats the minimum. 2nd target is to only select those 30+ age players where no credible alternative is available.

With everyone available I would be looking to select the following for the first 6 nations game.

15. Liam 14. LRZ 13. North 12. Johnny Wiilliams 11. Adams 10. Biggar 9. Tomos
1. Thomas 2. Lake 3. Lewis 4. Rowlands 5. Beard 6. Tschiunza 7. Morgan 8. Faletau.

16. Ken 17. Carre 18. Brown 19. AWJ 20. McLoud 21. Blacker 22. Costelow 23. Hawkins. 

The rest of the squad would be : Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, O'Connor, Daf Jenkins, Carter, Reffell, Moriarty, Hardy, Anscombe, Joe Roberts, Rio Dyer & Tom Rogers. 

As for the coaching ticket a number of names have been put in the frame. Excluding Robertson who I hope is the man already in the frame from October 2023 much will depend of course on availability. Ex coaches from Wasps/Worcester may well feature as many will be available. Mark Jones will be a name in the frame who could work with Roberston going forward, Brad Mooar will also be discussed. So a coaching ticket of Gatland, Jones, Mooar, Humphries and Neil Jenkins could be the one which overcomes many of the availability issues. 

Sponsored Links

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 9:46am
You cant keep picking beard.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I found out long ago it was bad for the skinWink

A good wash works wonders.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 9:51am

I hear what you say but I am trying to be practical. Gatland clearly rates him - he is a Lion, is young enough & has the physique. Who replaces him is my question. I thought about including Seb Davies at 5 with Beard replacing Carter in the wider squad. 

The more comments/feedback we can get the more meat we can put on a concerted plan. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 11:12am

His form has dipped definitely, but Wales don’t have enough depth there to right him off imo
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 11:28am
Sack pivac bring in robertson moratiy to 6 morgan 7 toby f 8

Edited by RR1972 - 27 November 2022 at 11:29am
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 11:45am
Bring in Robertson, Our strongest back row is 6-Moriarty, 7-Morgan/Reffell 8-Toby
Christ on the bench. I like Josh M but we are too well stocked at 7 and I just don’t see him as a hybrid player.
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 12:06pm
I don't see it with Moriarty, he plays aggressively but doesn't really translate to much, I'd pick young, Wainwright, Morgan and reffell at 6 before him.
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 1:35pm
I'd be very surprised (delighted but surprised) if the WRU could land Robertson. Robertson must surely see what a shambles Welsh rugby is in with no playing depth in many positions and an ineffective system of development. Both England and NZ would be more attractive to him and there may well be openings there soon. He's a seriously good coach and wants to win. Just offering him loads of money isn't going to be enough. He'd want to be sitting on top of a professional system which the WRU isn't. 

Where we go next? Who knows.

What's going on?
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I don't see it with Moriarty, he plays aggressively but doesn't really translate to much, I'd pick young, Wainwright, Morgan and reffell at 6 before him.

Yeah he's always been very underwhelming for me. Looks like he carries hard but gets nowhere. He does tackle well but aside from that isn't much of a nuisance at the breakdown and doesn't have great handling skills. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2022 at 5:32pm
I look moriarty personally , good carrier big hitter and got an edge to him wales been lacking. I like naividi to in fairness another option at 6. I forgot about basham as well! Pity we not as well blessed in other departments

Edited by RR1972 - 27 November 2022 at 8:48pm
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I've always liked Wainwright too...what's he done wrong...the other dragons flanker looks tidy too ..name escapes me
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 1:10am

Should Gatland be in charge for RWC23, I can see him going for something like this:

L. Williams - no real form or game time to speak of, but we're hardly blessed at full-back and he has credit in the bank

LRZ - pretty much a cert you'd have to say, and has shown he is capable of filling in at 15

North - centre is our real weakness, but he'll provide solidity and experience

Scott - perhaps left field, but still think there's unfinished business, and he's a Gatland-type 12 all day long

Adams - nailed on, not much else to say

Biggar - prefer Dan to start with Anscombe coming on to close games out

T. Williams - he hasn't kicked on as much as I'd expected, but remains the clear No. 1

Carré - Gatland likes him, and he's in great form at the moment, pretty strong here with Nicky Smith, Gareth Thomas and Wyn Jones too

Lake - has been great since coming onto the scene, and I like the idea of the Sheriff as a finisher

Lewis - if he can keep up his scrummaging of late, if not then Francis which is, of course, fine

Rowlands - arguably our best performer in the last 12-18 months

Jenkins - a bolter if you like, but then again he's already captained Exeter, lock is another weak area for us

Morgan - becoming increasingly difficult to ignore, offers the dog you need in a 6 and also has the jackal threat

Reffell - without doubt our strongest position, you wouldn't mind whoever gets the nod here, but going off the form book he leads the way at the moment IMO

Faletau - well, it's Taulupe Faletau like

This would leave you with a pretty handy bench along the lines of:

Smith - see above, another strong scrummager

Sheriff - see above

Francis - see above

Beard - this could well be him vs. AWJ, tough call

Tshiunza - can cover lock and 6

Anscombe - Costelow could well force his way in, but as it stands he's the No. 2

Blacker - rate him higher than Gareth and Kieran, deserves a shot

Giles - long overdue a chance, could be great in the Portugal, Fiji, Georgia games

And then you always have the likes of Gareth Thomas/Wyn Jones, Elias, AWJ, Moriarty, Lane, Tompkins and Foxy/Johnny in reserve.

“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2022 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

Bring in Robertson, Our strongest back row is 6-Moriarty, 7-Morgan/Reffell 8-Toby
Christ on the bench. I like Josh M but we are too well stocked at 7 and I just don’t see him as a hybrid player.

With CHRIST on the bench, we may be able to work Miracles, probably the only way ATM
LOLLOLLOLLOL
I stood yer on tanner bank
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 8:31am
Well Xmas has come early for Warren Gatland. I bet he is pinching himself back in New Zealand. Front runner for caretaker roles with Wales & England. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2022 at 10:49am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

[QUOTE=Scrletsfan32x]Bring in Robertson, Our strongest back row is 6-Moriarty, 7-Morgan/Reffell 8-Toby

With CHRIST on the bench, we may be able to work Miracles, probably the only way ATM
LOLLOLLOLLOL
[/QUOT
Nowing our luck we will get crucified in every game 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic