Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welsh labour?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 6:21pm
We should go full indy or full uk for me, tbh both seem bad options at moLOLLOL
Sponsored Links

Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 6:33pm
Or full European Wink
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Or full European Wink

How ironic would that beLOL

I’ve never been a raving nationalist either, but seeing what damage this Westminster government has done to our wonderful country is making me more keen on the thought of a referendum.
The WAG doesn’t have the same powers that the Scottish Assembly has, and has it’s hands tied by Westminster on a lot of key legislation.  They even conned us out of £5billion in funding for transport when they claimed that HS2 was an England and Wales infrastructure project and as a result Wales would benefit, whereas Scotland wouldn’t benefit and as a result we’re entitled to a similar amount for their own transport projects as part of levelling up. That £5 billion would have transformed the transport infrastructure in Wales.
Even though there are things that the WAG haven’t handled well in the 20something years of its existence, they have proven that they can do things better than the Westminster government- our handling of the pandemic was better and far less confusing than that of the Tories in Westminster, our handling of the train drivers strike (or lack of one in Wales as the WAG runs the train infrastructure and were able and willing to negotiate with the drivers / unions to come to deal) and the fact that they have been willing to meet with health staff/unions to discuss pay and conditions, even putting a reasonable new offer on the table.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Or full European Wink

How ironic would that beLOL

I’ve never been a raving nationalist either, but seeing what damage this Westminster government has done to our wonderful country is making me more keen on the thought of a referendum.
The WAG doesn’t have the same powers that the Scottish Assembly has, and has it’s hands tied by Westminster on a lot of key legislation.  They even conned us out of £5billion in funding for transport when they claimed that HS2 was an England and Wales infrastructure project and as a result Wales would benefit, whereas Scotland wouldn’t benefit and as a result we’re entitled to a similar amount for their own transport projects as part of levelling up. That £5 billion would have transformed the transport infrastructure in Wales.
Even though there are things that the WAG haven’t handled well in the 20something years of its existence, they have proven that they can do things better than the Westminster government- our handling of the pandemic was better and far less confusing than that of the Tories in Westminster, our handling of the train drivers strike (or lack of one in Wales as the WAG runs the train infrastructure and were able and willing to negotiate with the drivers / unions to come to deal) and the fact that they have been willing to meet with health staff/unions to discuss pay and conditions, even putting a reasonable new offer on the table.

Excellent  post ..as always from Legendinmybathroom....spot on .!
You make some excellent points there, reinforcing some of the points  have been making, ahd highlighting  others. 
The problem in Wales, is we do not have enough belief,  or confidence  in ourselves or our  identity 
Contrast that with Scotland.
I stood yer on tanner bank
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 11:52pm
I think if you speak to the 18 to 25 university age group ....the desire for independence is running around 90%
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 1:00am
 Independence issue apart,  my interest in practical terms, is to see the WAG, gain more powers 
at least on par with Scotland. This would mean greater legislation powers, and consequently the ability to have better control of certain things.  
The issues highlighted inn he last few months, have illustrated  how hamstrung we are here in Wales, having autonomy, but not able to effectively govern due to the fiscal restraints.

In fairness to the WAG, they have taken a constructive position with regard to negotiations with all unions and workforces. The have been differences and maybe its taken too long, but there has been respect shown to those in dispute.
Contrast that to Sunak and his cronies. Disrespect and no dialogue, and no resolved disputes.
This is the party which its new deputy chairman, fancies himself as a hangman  !Confused

The welsh assembly government has led the way on several issues, recycling and its attitude to plastic being just two. Charging for carrier bags was started, was just one small thing ,stated in Wales, and later followed by England.
Personally, I would like to see WAG go further and ban all supermarkets selling plastic bags. 
Need to be done in such a way that people are given sufficient time to obtain hessian or durable bag for life products. WE MUST stop keeping plastic in our mainstream lives, and plastic which has a 
comparatively short life span, before being thrown away.
At least WAG have shown some commitment and awareness.

There are examples I can use of WAG being a force for good , but will take up too much time here and become boring.
Mistakes have clearly been made, the record in Health ATM, frankly is not good enough, BUT ,as I said in the earlier post, the huge strain of an ageing population and social deprivation, which under the Tories, is getting worse by the day, is putting a massive strain on a diminishing budget and workforce, which is struggling to cope.
Add that to numbers of medical staff departing these shores, thanks that wonderful thing called BREXIT.
There are 4, 5000 less doctors alone now , as opposed to before Brexit.
The WAG, of whatever political colour would struggle to manage that issue alone, particularly in the the current financial climate, and with morale and workforce pressure spiralling

To conclude, If I was marking the WAG's homework, as a teacher, I would say, "Reasonable progress, but room for improvements in key areas".
A lot of this can come from greater autonomy, and a better funding formula to replace Barnett.

I have traditionally never been a nationalist, but I look at that outdated , sexist, privileged, inefficient, undemocratic, cess-pit, that is Westminster., AND particularly the events of the last year !
Laughable adversarial politics, belonging in the schoolyard, booing , hissing, gross disrespect, is this the "Mother of Government " ? 
If that was my mother, I would want to cut the umbilical cord.
In the immediate future, things have to change for the better, and that doesn't just mean to turf  out his appalling "sleazbag"  of a government !

I wholeheartedly think, we can be better than this in this country, and consequently politicians can glean a little more respect than the dismal situation, we find ourselves in now.
Constructive dialogue has to take place on constitutional change, although I am not hopeful on that score.
If this does not happen, and the worse things get, more and more people ,with disengage with the world of decision making, and what sort of society does that leave us with ??
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 9:47am
The landlord rules are an absolute disgrace..it will see properties destroyed with no accountability...the standard of living has worsened in Wales for many years as has the GDP, NHS waiting and drug rates too...all worse than England by far
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 9:59pm
I can’t comment on the landlord’s rules (as I’m not wealthy enough to own more than 1 property) but I feel that as a person who has worked more than 30 years in the NHS I disagree with your comments about the state of the NHS under Welsh Labour.
I have to say that in my time as a health employee I have seen it decimated by 2 Tory governments (major’s first and more recently under 5 different PMs).
Every year of Tory austerity or just public service cuts hits all NHS trusts (across the UK) but more so in Wales (due to funding formulas used to distribute the funds).  This means that the WAG ever have to pass on the cuts to the welsh trusts or they have to rise taxes (which would be a vote killer).  The only time when the NHS was funded properly (early noughties) staff morale and numbers were much higher and there was a lot more funding for proactive and preventative treatments (such as drug and substance misuse).
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 11:21pm
I’m all for Legalising taxing and ensuring  drugs are safe. They aren’t going away let’s just make them as safe as possible . And i say that as some one who hasn’t or ever will do drugs (unless you count alcholol)Wink

Edited by RR1972 - 10 February 2023 at 11:22pm
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 2:02pm
Im all for toughening up the drugs laws...Theyre destroying every part of society in wales
sir duckling tuft
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 2:29pm

I can’t comment on the landlord’s rules (as I’m not wealthy enough to own more than 1 property) but I feel that as a person who has worked more than 30 years in the NHS I disagree with your comments about the state of the NHS under Welsh Labour.
I have to say that in my time as a health employee I have seen it decimated by 2 Tory governments (major’s first and more recently under 5 different PMs).
Every year of Tory austerity or just public service cuts hits all NHS trusts (across the UK) but more so in Wales (due to funding formulas used to distribute the funds).  This means that the WAG ever have to pass on the cuts to the welsh trusts or they have to rise taxes (which would be a vote killer).  The only time when the NHS was funded properly (early noughties) staff morale and numbers were much higher and there was a lot more funding for proactive and preventative treatments (such as drug and substance misuse).

As an NHS employee  people should  listen to what Legend has to say.
Cuts in real terms,  regarding  budgets and spending,  has been on a downward  spiral  for years.
This is why the most dedicated  workforce  inthe UK is striking. 
I spoke toba nurse in Glangwili past ,when we went for the wife's 
routine appointment. 
This lady had given a lifetime of service , 40 years.nAs a RCN member , had NEVER EVER, considered  industrial  action. 
Now on the cusp of retirement,  she is striking,  not for herself , but for the future  of the NHS. How can we encourage  the best young people to look after us,to become doctors, nurses, or any other medical  professionals when those  already  employed are treated  shabbily. 

Do'nt know whether Roy Munster  read my previous post.
In that I eluded to the levels of social deprivation  in Wales, vastly  exceeding  Enlgland.Pockets of poverty  here in Wales are the worst in Europe .
To add to that demographics  , point to an ageing  population, proportionally,  in comparison  to large parts  of England,  ,particularly  tye South East. Making comparisons  therefore  is dubious. 
This as a consequence  places a huge an increasing  strain  on GP services,  and the NHS in general. 

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Cuts in real terms,  regarding  budgets and spending,  has been on a downward  spiral  for years.
routine appointment. 
This lady had given a lifetime of service , 40 years.nAs a RCN member , had NEVER EVER, considered  industrial  action. 
Now on the cusp of retirement,  she is striking,  not for herself , but for the future  of the NHS. How can we encourage  the best young people to look after us,to become doctors, nurses, or any other medical  professionals when those  already  employed are treated  shabbily. 

In that I eluded to the levels of social deprivation  in Wales, vastly  exceeding  Enlgland.Pockets of poverty  here in Wales are the worst in Europe .
To add to that demographics  , point to an ageing  population, proportionally,  in comparison  to large parts  of England,  ,particularly  tye South East. Making comparisons  therefore  is dubious. 
This as a consequence  places a huge an increasing  strain  on GP services,  and the NHS in general. 

The wag and councils do nothing for sme's that's a huge reason why Wales is the poorest part of the uk
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2023 at 12:23am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

routine appointment. 

The wag and councils do nothing for sme's that's a huge reason why Wales is the poorest part of the uk

|Small and medium size enterprise, are an essential part of Wales recovery from economic stagnation,
I mentioned this in my post in reply to the leader post by Sir Duckling On Feb. 9th. 
Some of the work with the promote and re-energise smaller and medium size business was done by the WDA, but I believe this was abolished around 2005/6.
Grants are still available, as a few of my friends have benefitted.
The issue now for SME's is that the climate for prosperity and diversity is dire.
Brexit has stifled our market opportunities, and red tape and bureaucratic system and new checks and tariff's making trading incredibly difficult, combined with the weaknesses of our currency.

As has been indicated in earlier posts, Wales decline , is not down to one or two pinpointed reasons , there is a wide diversification of reasons.
Its clear that WAG and cash strapped local authorities do not possess enough clout to get us out of that hole.
There needs to be a total NEW WAY TO APPROACH THINGS .

Ford transferring jobs to the USA (news today) underlined the help the American government is providing in research and investment of electric car production.
We are the worst in Europe for this , and one of the worst in green energy projected investment

Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2023 at 12:57am
Politics of Greed - the Tories v politics of envy - labour
The Tories in London have overseen a period of grotesque greed and corruption. The country never recovered from the 2008 economic collapse

.Welsh labour must take some responsibility for Wales being the poorest region of the uk...today's announcement to scrap all road developments in favour of buses in a few years is madness...this is a party that has failed to build 1 road from north to south in 100 years and a govt run airport than no one uses ...meanwhile they've sold out Welsh town centres to retail giants who are now pulling the plug on towns as the internet takes over

Edited by Sir Duckling Tuft - 15 February 2023 at 12:59am
sir duckling tuft
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 8:11pm
Llanelli ratepayers will see the highest increase in council tax in all of Carmarthenshire following the Labour-run Llanelli Town Council voting to increase council tax by a record-breaking 54%

AHH the party of the people lol
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic