Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where have all the centres gone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where have all the centres gone?
    Posted: 15 March 2022 at 1:53pm
I have been following a thread on the Scarlets part of the site which covers the number of centres we have with interest.That got me thinking and I have a horrible feeling Scott is the last genuinely international class centre to be produced by the regions or the Welsh system  in the last 10 or more years . Hadleigh was capped after serving time with us but if he had a Welsh grandparent he would have likely been straight in or capped much sooner so a brilliant signing but not really a product of Welsh rugby. Watkin at the Ospreys is perhaps the closest but always seems to be keeping a place warm for someone else. One or two unfortunate with injury over the years  but it seems like converting wingers and bringing in players from the English set up is masking what has been quite a problem. 
Sponsored Links

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 2:28pm
Sounds like a Peter, Paul & Mary song, for those who can remember them !!!!!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

I have been following a thread on the Scarlets part of the site which covers the number of centres we have with interest.That got me thinking and I have a horrible feeling Scott is the last genuinely international class centre to be produced by the regions or the Welsh system  in the last 10 or more years . Hadleigh was capped after serving time with us but if he had a Welsh grandparent he would have likely been straight in or capped much sooner so a brilliant signing but not really a product of Welsh rugby. Watkin at the Ospreys is perhaps the closest but always seems to be keeping a place warm for someone else. One or two unfortunate with injury over the years  but it seems like converting wingers and bringing in players from the English set up is masking what has been quite a problem. 

Plenty of Welsh 12s but struggling to name one Welsh 13 apart from North who after all is primarily a wing. Baldwin and Collins are not ripping up any trees, Tyler has gone backwards, who else is there? I believe Conbeer played 13 at some stage in his career, could he make the transition?
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2022 at 5:19pm
Its a mystery why the talent has dried up in welsh rugby in so many positions, are the english clubs pilfering a load fo our youth/academy kids or are they being lost to football or what? where are all the full backs too, hopefully rogers will be the real deal?
sir duckling tuft
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 7:42am
Rogers is going to be a very good 15 in my opinion. I always thought that Cory Baldwin was Foxy's successor in waiting at the Scarlets and maybe Wales but a combination of injury and lack of games have scuppered that for now. I think there are promising signs that Johnny Williams could have what it takes to play at 13 as his partnership with Scott develops but he has to stay on the field & get a run of games under his belt to maybe get a chance in the Summer. 

I have never been an admirer of Collins at 13 for Wales - not enough pace for me. I am struggling looking at the 20's selections to see where the next big 13 is coming from as both Eddie & young Hawkins seem to prefer 12. Max Llewelyn is highly thought of at Cardiff but I also think he prefers the 12 role but I may be wrong on that one. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 8:05am
Like most under 20's players we really can not make a true assessment as they never play enough games, at the right level. One needs to see them play half a season, and that I feel should/could/may eventually lead to a genuine second xv tournament, which encompasses the young players and those not in the match day 23, and if need be genuine "stars"  and should be covered in the contract if possible. The risk of injury in my opinion is a smoke screen, some training schedules are as hard as games, why? I am old fashion I know, and some of my thoughts are not shared by many, but so many players get better by playing, is that a coincidence???

When I was playing some 50 years ago at a low standard, some players would play every Saturday, regardless of 1st & 2nd XV, some were very good, I was at best poor, but I was playing something like 15/20 games, and often offered to other teams if short, but take it from I enjoyed myself. Some teams today can not feel a fit side on Saturday, because players do not turn up for training as they are not getting paid, while not that important for a perceived lack of centres, but it is just another thing the WRU needs to address, rather than Hotels, and defending playing on Friday.

Sorry for ranting but I'm bored and P****d off, as I was due to go to London tomorrow, but was tested positive yesterday, but I am ok. Welsh rugby needs a kick up the bum, or honestly I don't think we'll have this game in 50 years, at least I'll not be here then !!!

Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 9:01am
Hope you are ok Dai38.
There is an issue with game time there are some talented guys like Baldwin with us but he must be 23/24 and I don’t think he has started more than 20 games for us or Exeter since he came out of age grade rugby. If he had been racking up games in the Premiership over that time great but I think he has only managed a similar number of games mainly with Llandovery at that level.It is the same at the other regions where you have potentially talented 23/24 year olds like Ben Thomas, Max Williams and Kieron Williams none of whom have really managed to nail down a starting spot when everyone else is fit.
The only way players will develop is with time playing and not just training and as things stand there do seem limited opportunities.

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 9:42am
Thanks Kentexile I'm ok.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 9:46am
All the big hopes at centre have failed to deliver in recent years be they knott wheeler allen morgan this owen at the dragons hasn’t really kicked on, grady at the blues is heavily hyped but can’t seem to stay fit.  Our lack of young 12 and 15s is a real worry. We really need to address the step up from under 20 to regional rugby
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Like most under 20's players we really can not make a true assessment as they never play enough games, at the right level. One needs to see them play half a season, and that I feel should/could/may eventually lead to a genuine second xv tournament, which encompasses the young players and those not in the match day 23, and if need be genuine "stars"  and should be covered in the contract if possible. The risk of injury in my opinion is a smoke screen, some training schedules are as hard as games, why? I am old fashion I know, and some of my thoughts are not shared by many, but so many players get better by playing, is that a coincidence???

When I was playing some 50 years ago at a low standard, some players would play every Saturday, regardless of 1st & 2nd XV, some were very good, I was at best poor, but I was playing something like 15/20 games, and often offered to other teams if short, but take it from I enjoyed myself. Some teams today can not feel a fit side on Saturday, because players do not turn up for training as they are not getting paid, while not that important for a perceived lack of centres, but it is just another thing the WRU needs to address, rather than Hotels, and defending playing on Friday.

Sorry for ranting but I'm bored and P****d off, as I was due to go to London tomorrow, but was tested positive yesterday, but I am ok. Welsh rugby needs a kick up the bum, or honestly I don't think we'll have this game in 50 years, at least I'll not be here then !!!

spot onClap
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 11:15am
Into the pack as flankers.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

Sounds like a Peter, Paul & Mary song, for those who can remember them !!!!!
When will they ever learn?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 11:15pm
 very good Rob Big smileBig smile

Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2022 at 8:21pm
I'm here all week Dai. Smile
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic