Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the best welsh coach right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2022 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Im not overly convinced with Gethin as defence coach. In the 6nations we were shocking, yet after the appointment of Gareth Willuams on a short term contract for the SA tour, our defence improved. Conincidence? Im not sure.
don’t think he coaches defence? Could be wrong mind but i don’t see gethin deferring to williams. Also we still coughed up 30 points in two tests in sa so maybe gethin isn’t all that!
The Wales defence was outstanding in South Africa. It allowed them to be competitive 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2022 at 4:05pm
It also shipped 62 points in two tests factWink
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2022 at 5:16pm

It also shipped 62 points in two tests factWink
South Africa score on average 29 points a test. Let’s put it into context 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2022 at 5:28pm
I thought we did well tbh. Just showing for all that we still gave up 30 points in two tests. As well as ireland did they coughed up 40 plus points in 1 test. Modern rugby is high scoring
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2022 at 6:38pm

I thought we did well tbh. Just showing for all that we still gave up 30 points in two tests. As well as ireland did they coughed up 40 plus points in 1 test. Modern rugby is high scoring
Just think of the 6-3 wins from the past in the mud. How did we not find it boring! 😉 Such a different game now with losers often scoring 15-20 points and losing. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2022 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Just think of the 6-3 wins from the past in the mud. How did we not find it boring! 😉 Such a different game now with losers often scoring 15-20 points and losing. 
i miss the old mud bath low scoring slug fests pitches today are too good, kits too tight and balls too water proofOuch

Edited by RR1972 - 03 August 2022 at 10:36pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 6:56am
Tommy Reffell will improve our defensive performances single handedly. Quick attacking ruck ball is manna from heaven for attacking teams so his performances in slowing down the opposition was the single main fact why we looked comfortable most of the time. The 1st test we shipped loads of points when down to 12/13 which is understandable. At 17-14 we were well in the final test but then we blew up. 

Gethin is doing ok - Shaun he ain't. Lets not forget what Ireland did with us last 6 nations which they also did to NZ. The only thing which saved NZ from a real tonking in the 3rd test was their fantastic scramble defence. Modern day 7's are now the focus mainly for their defensive work which is why Sam Cane is coming under increasing pressure. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 8:36am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Tommy Reffell will improve our defensive performances single handedly. Quick attacking ruck ball is manna from heaven for attacking teams so his performances in slowing down the opposition was the single main fact why we looked comfortable most of the time. The 1st test we shipped loads of points when down to 12/13 which is understandable. At 17-14 we were well in the final test but then we blew up. 

Gethin is doing ok - Shaun he ain't. Lets not forget what Ireland did with us last 6 nations which they also did to NZ. The only thing which saved NZ from a real tonking in the 3rd test was their fantastic scramble defence. Modern day 7's are now the focus mainly for their defensive work which is why Sam Cane is coming under increasing pressure. 
Gethin is still learning. Wales had worse hidings in Dublin under Gatland. 2014 anyone? Also there were loads of tests under Edwards where our defence was garbage but people don’t want to remember that. I remember 2 tests against Australia, one in 2010 and one in 2017, where our defence was non existent. He’s a world class defence coach but sometimes we do look back with rose tinted spectacles 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 8:49am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Gethin is still learning. Wales had worse hidings in Dublin under Gatland. 2014 anyone? Also there were loads of tests under Edwards where our defence was garbage but people don’t want to remember that. I remember 2 tests against Australia, one in 2010 and one in 2017, where our defence was non existent. He’s a world class defence coach but sometimes we do look back with rose tinted spectacles 

For sure Gethin is still learning but to conclude that 2014 was a bigger hammering than 2022 is rather missing a point - 2014 2 tries conceded, 2022 4 tries conceded. Shaun Edwards would be the top of my list for defence coach full stop; more relevant he would be the top of most Rugby boards list as well. What I would say in Gethin's defence is that he is working without huge stalwarts defensively available to Edwards in Foxy & Jamie Roberts. In addition he has received massive votes of confidence from Edwards himself which suggest that Wales may the right guy. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 8:59am
Edwsrds is the beat defence coach in the world pivac let him go to replave him with haywardWinkWink. Jenkins wil be fine imo you raise a good point re slowing down breakdown ball. Nlow my query is this lydiate is a great tackler but offers nothing with ball in hand or at the breakdown, reffell great at breakdown not much in attack. Can we pick two non footballers at flanker or do we mix and match eh reffel and tuoric or reffell and a carriier/jackler eg naividi? I’d also like to see nicky smith in the 23 he is good at the breakdown do we have any locks with a beirne skill set? Does any one!

Edited by RR1972 - 04 August 2022 at 9:14am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 9:28am

Edwsrds is the beat defence coach in the world pivac let him go to replave him with haywardWinkWink. Jenkins wil be fine imo you raise a good point re slowing down breakdown ball. Nlow my query is this lydiate is a great tackler but offers nothing with ball in hand or at the breakdown, reffell great at breakdown not much in attack. Can we pick two non footballers at flanker or do we mix and match eh reffel and tuoric or reffell and a carriier/jackler eg naividi? I’d also like to see nicky smith in the 23 he is good at the breakdown do we have any locks with a beirne skill set? Does any one!
Your first comment about Pivac letting him go is totally inaccurate. He wanted to keep him. Shaun has been very disingenuous about this. Look at the way he treated his home town club Wigan. He made them look like mugs
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 9:57am
My comment is right we offered him 2 years france offered him 4. No wonder he said shove it i’m off to france. Look how that has worked out grand slam champs and world cup faves, best move he made tbh
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 10:06am

My comment is right we offered him 2 years france offered him 4. No wonder he said shove it i’m off to france. Look how that has worked out grand slam champs and world cup faves, best move he made tbh
No it’s not right because you said he chose Hayward over Edwards which isn’t true. Thoughts on how he treated Wigan?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 10:17am
I’m a st helens fan  always liked then since jonny griff went there i’m glad he shafted themWinkWink
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 10:37am

No it’s not right because you said he chose Hayward over Edwards which isn’t true. Thoughts on how he treated Wigan?

Perhaps Wigan should have got him to sign a contract. Plenty of instances where coaches change their mind. Don't expect Dai Young is too enamoured with Dwayne Peel but as Shaun would now say c'est la vie!!!!! ( Eastern Outpost eat your heart out).
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2022 at 2:37pm

Perhaps Wigan should have got him to sign a contract. Plenty of instances where coaches change their mind. Don't expect Dai Young is too enamoured with Dwayne Peel but as Shaun would now say c'est la vie!!!!! ( Eastern Outpost eat your heart out).
Just back from a lovely morning in St Emilion, guided tour, wine tasting, superb scenery there and back ending with an excellent 3 course lunch for a measly €18 a head in a pleasantly shaded terrace overlooking a beautiful garden. 

For the moment, I’ve done all the eating I can Wink

Ask me again in a couple of hours though LOL
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic