Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2022 at 11:10pm
Oh right, so it largely was just bad management from WRU and some gold-fish bowl pressure that meant he wanted to move away. 

Seemed from the doc that there was a sort of unsaid rumour or conspiracy that meant he left all of a sudden - but maybe it was an amalgamation of things
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 9:47am
Alfie is an unlikeable charchter isn’t he?
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 9:50am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I guess that's a matter of personal opinion. 
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 10:58am

Very - certainly as a public figure he is really irritating. Superb player of course 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 11:22am
Big time, hamsen dour henry likeable shane a bit bitter to. Gats and edwards my type of guys
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 11:49am

Big time, hamsen dour henry likeable shane a bit bitter to. Gats and edwards my type of guys

I have not seen episode 3 yet but I would have liked to have heard from Stevo and Martyn Williams as well not non stop Alfie pontificating and whose dominance is certainly taking the gloss of the programme so far - likewise Shane tbh. It’s been good well shot TV so far but  I fear an anti climax on Ruddock- gate 🤔
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 11:53am
To be honest I found Alfie and Shane's contributions to be open and honest. I find them quite likeable personally. I always felt Henry, Hansen & Ruddock were good coaches and the programme showed what each of them brought. I've enjoyed the programme so far fair play.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 12:46pm

Explain…..?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Explain…..?
his attitude on the programme he came across as rude and arrogant. Not to mention his scrum v rant and his constant foul language on the show
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 2:49pm

Explain…..?
his attitude on the programme he came across as rude and arrogant. Not to mention his scrum v rant and his constant foul language on the show

Really? Again, personal opinion I guess. Not that it all matters that much in the grand scheme of things. Everyone's different, everyone has their take on things. Speak as you find as my Nan used to say Smile
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Explain…..?

Really? Again, personal opinion I guess. Not that it all matters that much in the grand scheme of things. Everyone's different, everyone has their take on things. Speak as you find as my Nan used to say Smile
I admit that I do get fed up when I see he is going to be the guest pundit. Over excitable, opinionated come to mind.  Him and Gabby  Logan make strange bedfellows  together in more ways than one! He was surgically  taken apart by Eddie Butler in that interview. Alfy was a great player mind . 

Edited by reesytheexile - 05 January 2022 at 4:11pm
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 5:28pm
Alfie is unique and that’s why I like him. But you can certainly have too much of him. I heard in a different podcast that Steve Hansen said Alfie was one of the most talent players he ever coached but never got the best out of, and said that might’ve been down to being oblivious to what was going on in Alfie’s personal life at the time. 

Obvs Stevo and M. Williams are still in the set up so it’s difficult to get their honest feedback.

I thought it was good programme too tho, that ‘05 England game with Henson’s tackle on Tait and kick to win was my first live rugby game. Had no clue about where Wales had been for the years beforehand. 

Also, what Henry and Hansen and to an extent Gats went on to achieve does suggest that someone at the WRU knew how to recruit well.

Edited by dyniol53 - 05 January 2022 at 5:30pm
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Watching Slammed - I wasn’t aware of what was going on at the time as I was barely a teenager. But what was the actual reason Mike Ruddock left 1 year after the ‘05 grand slam.

The official story was “contract negotiations” and “player power” but it seems pretty odd or at most a half-truth 

That he then went to go live and raise his family in Ireland makes it doubly weird to me 

Some of the players still preferred Hansen like Alfie, Nugget and Stephen Jones. Ruddock wasn’t strict enough they thought. After the England loss they went on the piss in cardiff. Hansen would never have allowed it. 
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 8:08pm

Watching Slammed - I wasn’t aware of what was going on at the time as I was barely a teenager. But what was the actual reason Mike Ruddock left 1 year after the ‘05 grand slam.

The official story was “contract negotiations” and “player power” but it seems pretty odd or at most a half-truth 

That he then went to go live and raise his family in Ireland makes it doubly weird to me 

Some of the players still preferred Hansen like Alfie, Nugget and Stephen Jones. Ruddock wasn’t strict enough they thought. After the England loss they went on the piss in cardiff. Hansen would never have allowed it. 

Alun Carter's excellent book ,"Seeing Red"is very informative and well worth a look.Otherwise Adam Jones has been candid on all of it.Bad business .
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2022 at 10:03pm
Edwards and gatland were hard just what wales need.  Ruddock should have dropped all the trouble makers, gats would have. The players let ruddock and jenkins down

Edited by RR1972 - 05 January 2022 at 10:05pm
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2022 at 12:11am

He didn’t move to Ireland until years later. He coached Worcester for 3 seasons and resigned after their relegation. His sons were already playing in Leinster by the time he decided to move out there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>
  Share Topic