Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 6:32am
i see that some of the bigger clubs in football are breaking away from eufa and forming a european super league which is rattling eufa's cage,i know we can't form a league but some action needs to be taken in some form ,we need to act now because we won't be here in 5 years in current form if we don't.
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 10:18am
its absolutely shambolic what the WRU are doing to welsh rugby, its not just the pro teams and lack of funding. they seem to think that hotels and roof climbing will bring in money to keep the union going, putting more games on the fixture list but no care about players and regions.
if there are no players coming through the pro teams and the academies we may as well shut up shop now.
it is a matter of time before there is no professional rugby left in wales. 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 2:54pm
The moment was squandered when Wales were playing poorly in 2016/17 and we started doing well, 2017-18.

That was the only time regional rugby showed it could get bums on seats and eyes on TVs. 

Once we started going downhill and Wales performed well in 2019 the WRU didn’t have to face any tough questions or make any tough decisions.

For years people have warned things like the 4th Autumn test were devaluing the regional game (and cheapening the International game). Yes it brought in revenue but it was in-effect a marshmallow test for the WRU. 

The international game is the premium product which needs to be scarce. 

The regional game is the bread and butter product which needs support. 

WRU patched over that by playing as many Wales games as possible so that the average rugby fan only had to follow team Wales. 

Then they blame the regions for not having enough support but they were constantly taking the marshmellow. 

Our success in 2017/18 was the chance to rectify that but it’s gone now. 

(Investments in a hotel is not a bad thing in my opinion - but it certainly shows you’re not confident in your own business/product! A bit like a government buying Bitcoin!)

Fundamentally rugby is a top-down sport in Wales now. Like any top down system it is great if it goes well but if those at the top start making consecutive bad decisions it leaves the whole structure vulnerable to collapse.

Edited by dyniol53 - 19 April 2021 at 2:56pm
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

i see that some of the bigger clubs in football are breaking away from eufa and forming a european super league which is rattling eufa's cage,i know we can't form a league but some action needs to be taken in some form ,we need to act now because we won't be here in 5 years in current form if we don't.

Surely the only sensible “break away” League would be a British & Irish league, or at least the 4 welsh clubs joining the English structure. 

The Irish gain the most from the existing Pro14 league and the Welsh miss out the most. 

Playing Bristol, Gloucester, Bath, Worcester every few weeks would be an extra 500 bums on seats and a better atmosphere at regional level.

After all, the reason Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham and Newport were accepted to play in the English leagues was because they had massive fan bases filling terraces!

Without fans your club is nothing. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Surely the only sensible “break away” League would be a British & Irish league, or at least the 4 welsh clubs joining the English structure. 

The Irish gain the most from the existing Pro14 league and the Welsh miss out the most. 

Playing Bristol, Gloucester, Bath, Worcester every few weeks would be an extra 500 bums on seats and a better atmosphere at regional level.

After all, the reason Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham and Newport were accepted to play in the English leagues was because they had massive fan bases filling terraces!

agree totally but that isn't going to happen,i'm talking about withholding our welsh players from the 4 regions or something similar until they play ball because as it is we will be down to east and west so that the union can keep having big bucks and all the perks that go with it.
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 3:38pm
Mmm yeah. 

I’d return to the point earlier posters were making about Leinster. Leinster’s ability to hold onto top quality Internationals is aided by the Irish governments “sportsperson relief” which means the top rate tax is lower for players who play 10 years in Ireland.

If Wales had something like this it would mean the 4 pro clubs could keep the players like “Sheedy, Lloyd, LRZ, Reffell, Nott, Dan Thomas, Faletau, Young, Biggar, Aled etc the list goes on.”

Ireland have only really “lost” Zebo, Ryan and Sexton to France for a couple of years (Bierne was basically a Leinster reject when he came here) because of that tax. All the other investments they get to make in academies and coaches are because they can pay their players really competitively because of a tax loophole.

The 60 cap rule does a pretty good job at keeping some players in Wales. But clearly not as good a job as basically paying 20% tax on your 300k per year.
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 3:42pm

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

agree totally but that isn't going to happen,i'm talking about withholding our welsh players from the 4 regions or something similar until they play ball because as it is we will be down to east and west so that the union can keep having big bucks and all the perks that go with it.

I share your attitude, but realistically to 90% of the rugby public something like this would look like us / the regions biting the hand that feeds them. 

Outside Ken and AWJ most of the players wouldn’t do it either. Ken 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic