Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Players moving during penalty kicks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9331101972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Players moving during penalty kicks
    Posted: 10 March 2013 at 5:27pm
I can't help noticing that players are moving accross the line of sight of a player taking a penalty kick at goal. There was a glaring example today when Italy missed a very kickable shot.  It used to be the case that players had to stand perfectly still when a penalty was being taken.  Has there been a rule change that those of us who want to see fair play have missed?
Sponsored Links

scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 4:45pm
Law 21: Penalty and Free Kicks
If the kicker indicates to the referee the intent to kick at goal, the opposing team must stand still with their hands by their sides from the time the kicker starts to approach to kick until the ball is kicked.
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
9331101972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9331101972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

If the kicker indicates to the referee the intent to kick at goal, the opposing team must stand still with their hands by their sides from the time the kicker starts to approach to kick until the ball is kicked.

There is an awful lot of gamesmanship going on then.  Referees should should administer the rule.  Can a kicker appeal if he feels he has been distracted?
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:28pm
If they move & the kicker misses, let the kick be retaken. They'll soon stop.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Scarletstarch View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletstarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 8:33pm
Have noticed a few times down Parc y Scarlets when we are taking kicks an opposition player goes down and a physio comes on and quite often it is in line with the kicker's vision, surely this should not be allowed as it must be a distraction!
"YMA O HYD"
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 3:25am
Originally posted by 9331101972 9331101972 wrote:

If the kicker indicates to the referee the intent to kick at goal, the opposing team must <span>stand still</span> with their hands by their sides from the time the kicker starts to approach to kick until the ball is kicked.

There is an awful lot of gamesmanship going on then.  Referees should should administer the rule.  Can a kicker appeal if he feels he has been distracted?

Just saw an incident like it in the Kings S15 game re-run this morning...player started runnig towards the kicker before he started his run up...kicker missed, ref pinged the runner and the kick was re-taken...replay showed ref was spot on.
(He kicked it second time).
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 7:25am
During the Wales v Scotland match, as 1/2p is lining up a penalty, Hamilton (IIRC) is standing 10m away with his hands on his head, technically contravening the laws, which I thought he was at the time, yet the ref just let's play carry on.

Something which the Scots may have looked into to put him off as he missed a few on Sarurday?
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 7:27am
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

During the Wales v Scotland match, as 1/2p is lining up a penalty, Hamilton (IIRC) is standing 10m away with his hands on his head, technically contravening the laws, which I thought he was at the time, yet the ref just let's play carry on.

Something which the Scots may have looked into to put him off as he missed a few on Sarurday?

Must've been in Joubert's blind spot.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 8:46am

Indeed.

Scarletman - why don't international (class) referees apply this law? They seem extra finicky about some other ones...?

Players are always moving about, or putting their hands behind their heads, then removing them... and so on.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Indeed.

Scarletman - why don't international (class) referees apply this law? They seem extra finicky about some other ones...?

Players are always moving about, or putting their hands behind their heads, then removing them... and so on.

I've just asked the IRB to forward me all their mobiles so I can ask them ! Wink LOL

That is a question I will never answer, as mind reading/psychology are not my strongest subjects ! Shocked
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 7:55am

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Indeed.

I've just asked the IRB to forward me all their mobiles so I can ask them ! Wink LOL

That is a question I will never answer, as mind reading/psychology are not my strongest subjects ! Shocked

Indeed! Just thought that maybe you meet some of these people at ref's conferences or whatever...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 7:37pm
OK, here's a good one.  As "the opposing team must stand still with their hands by their sides from the time the kicker starts to approach to kick until the ball is kicked", then what about after he has kicked?  

I'm thinking of our HC semi final against Leicester back in the day, and THAT kick.  What if two players had lifted a third player, who caught the ball just before it skimmed over the bar, and thus prevented the score?  Would that be allowed?

Ian Lewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 7:46pm
If I'm not mistaken didn't something like that happen at Stradey against Gloucester in the HC. Ian Jones was lifted right in front of the posts and knocked it down, if my memory serves me right. The strange thing was that no deliberate knock on was given.
It's not always about where you end up, it's about how you get there.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 8:47pm
It was indeed against Gloucester in the home game (the away game was the one where they dropped a goal and it bounced over via our prop's backside).

I'm sure that if it happened today it would surely be a yellow card for preventing a scoring opportunity.

At the time, the ref gave us a scrum for a knock on.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 10:26pm
That scam of lifting a player to knock the ball down was outlawed soon after it started. Although as Abbey says, it was always a knock-on and a scrum under the posts.
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 3:41pm
Didn't Martin Roberts get pinged for something like this at Y Parc recently, and the ref awarded the kick to be taken a second time?
Scarlets!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic